1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need money to grow

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by wildstarblazer, Jun 22, 2013.

1. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

If you don't have "cash" on hand you cant but the good deals that come along.

I could buy a fleet of box trucks with mowers for the price of some of the trucks people are using.
  2. RWI

RWI Banned
    from GA

Hell yeah, I bought a truck last year... had no use for it but could not resist the deal. It was an 06 Isuzu npr crew cab(newer body style) with flat bed with diesel and 80k miles, sold the flat bed for $500, bought a box for $800, installed myself, painted box myself, built dovetail myself(in the winter) for $1000 labor and materials... and I was offered 25k for it a couple days ago. Turned it down, b/c I might need to start another crew in the next month or two.
  3. 94gt331

94gt331 LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe before you try to grow in size and equiptment. Try to raise your prices so you can cover your household bills etc and still be able to put back savings. Once you have a decent bank for yourself you will have some cushion and you can decide from there if you can take the risk to grow from there.
  4. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

I invested in advertising a lil more every year. this year we really took off so I took the extra money I was making and started a new crew to handle the extra work load, I guess if I've learned nothing else on here it's "price yourself right" it has only lead to making a decent living and being able to pay myself and my guys a decent salary, I did incure some startup debt but it is very much under control and we paid cash for the expansion this year, instead of paying off the startup debt like I had originally planned, but I now have the capacity and workload to easily pay off everything by the end of next year, I like paying cash whenever possible but it's not ALWAYS the best choice for me,I'm not afraid to incur some debt if it's going to payoff in the near future. I am single, live alone and have no rug rats or money sucking wife to deal with, I started my business with $1000 of savings five years ago I now have three trucks two full time crews and a company pushing 250k in sales this year, it can be done!
  5. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of advertising has worked best for you?
  6. georgialawn88

georgialawn88 LawnSite Bronze Member

not to be rude but if your wife spends everything you bring in it doesnt matter how much you advertise you are gonna be in the same boat for the rest of your/her life. Sounds like something needs to be done before you try to get any more customers. if you make 40k and she spends 40k when you make 200k she will spend 200k. FACT
  7. RWI

RWI Banned
    from GA

I get what your saying, got to be selective when choosing a life partner. What is really cool is when you can work your wife into the business, i have never done that till this year, and it is awesome. We have stopped watching tv, and just work together on the business(marketing, billing, creating new avenues of revenue, finding niche suppliers,etc) every night with a bottle of wine.
  8. Efficiency

Efficiency LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 6

Sounds like a real shitty life. Leave work at work. You talk work while sexing? Lol
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. RWI

RWI Banned
    from GA

I love what i do, watching tv is for smucks