need more clients

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scagwildcat, Aug 3, 2005.

1. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

hi all, ive been self employed for about five years now, the fist few years i thought i was doing great for a newbee but it seemed like as time went on the guys that got the job were the ones that had the nice fancy trucks, so last year i went out and bought new mowers,and a new f-350 dump. nothing wrong with my older ones but i thought that people would see my outfit as a pro outfit.. but instead ive noticed this year that the guys that are getting all the jobs around here have junk trucks, or dad's toyota with a junk mower, i dont get it, ive spent so much to advertise, nothing is working!! can anyone help? thanks.......

2. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Scagwildcat, same thing happened to me. For 4 years I had a 1500 dollar mower and a old truck. I had more than I could handle. When I bought my first nice ztr I lost 18 yards real fast! It has been awful for the past few years, with this year being the worst. Every yard I lost was to someone with a craftsman or cheap mower and old vehicle. Seems like folks want cheap and they figure these folks are cheaper. Had to revaluate my way of doing things and still been rough. I think just so many have gotten into this is the big difference.

3. Gizmo_019

Gizmo_019 LawnSite Member

So I should keep my Crapsman if I want to be successful? :p

4. TLM

TLM LawnSite Member

Some people shop at Wal-Mart and some shop at Saks Fifth Ave.
    I make more money on the well informed high end customer.

5. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Some places the well informed high end customers are few and far between.

6. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a shiny new Ford truck and business is better than ever. Of course there's no connection.

7. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Don't care what you drive
    Don't care what you mow with
    Do a good job, be timely, be consistant, and sell your services - You do not have to be the low bid to land the job. You need proof of your abilities - I included pictures of accounts we do with every bid, and it has made a big difference. I also am good friends with a couple of landscapers that do some very big jobs around here, and in fact I mow a couple of properties that they landscaped years ago, and both the customer and landscaper appreciate our quality. They are wonderful to have on board as references and referers.

8. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

atleast im not the only one with this issue!!! i guess all i can do is keep my chin up and do a good job... thanks guys!!!!