need more customers!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by TripD, Apr 18, 2006.

1. TripD

TripD LawnSite Member

Can you all share some suggestions on getting more customers. I have passed out flyers and put ads in the newspapers.
  2. Martee

Martee LawnSite Member

something I tried that worked good for me was to call someone who does just fertilizing service, they have people who call them all the time for lawn mowing and they dont do it so they can refer you, I also called some other lawn care operators and asked if they get calls for somewhere they dont want to service if they could give out my name and I have gotten a few this way also. WORD OF MOUTH is the best way and the cheapest for you. Give your business card to everyone in your family and have them give them to co workers. Have others help you out. I have not advertised at all and have had more customers calling me than I can do by myself.
  3. elshauno

elshauno LawnSite Member

4. A1A Lawn Care

A1A Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Im new to this site, and when i first started asking these questions i noticed it is a waste of time waiting for others to repy, just search the site for the questions and im sure you will find all the answers you need.
  5. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

Yes it is good to do a search on topics. You can find alot of information quickly that was previously posted.
    A waste of time waiting??? I don't know about you, but I work during the day as do most of the other LCO's here. That's what we do during daylight. So to be patient and wait for people to get home from work and settle down, and then check the board is not to much to ask. I may be wrong though.
  6. Desertdweller

Desertdweller LawnSite Member

Try real estate companies that specialize in rentals or corporate moves. Make friends with landscape and irrigation companies that don't mow. Talk to handyman services that don't mow. And by all means do great work and let the referrals come in!!!!!!!!
  7. A1A Lawn Care

A1A Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Im basically saying that instead of asking a question that someone else has asked a bunch of times search it. At a message board you wait for an answer, whether it is while you are at work or whatever. Instead you can search and find your answers for the same question a lot faster.
  8. Badgerz

Badgerz LawnSite Member

Especially since the question asked is discussed here numerous times every day. You wouldn't even have to do a search. Just open your eyes. All of the discussions about flyers, door hangers and other marketing tools are everywhere.
  9. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I would also look for a niche that is not being filled. Maybe its full weekly service, maybe its postage stamp lawns for a minimum. Maybe it is every other week service. Whatever find a niche and you will have less competition. networking is really the way to go, then you are getting quality referrals not just cold calls. Be active in the industry, architects and install contractors need to refer some one might as well be you.
  10. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

It always seems if you NEED customers they will be hard to come by. If you are trying to get rid of them or not accepting any more, they are everywhere.:waving: