Need more customers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SodFather, Mar 5, 2002.

1. SodFather

SodFather LawnSite Member

Hello Everyone,

Almost that time agan. I need some advice, I want to pick up at least 30 more accounts in my area and I have tried it all from NEBS door hangers to local papers. Looking for more info on how to reach new customers. Most of my customers came from word of mouth but there's got to be another way. Also if any one in the Suffolk county New York area is looking to sell some accounts contact me.
  2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

You should still pick up some more from your prior advertising. Some people hold onto the doorhanger/flyer and wait till the last minute to call.

When starting out, the more you can get your name out there the better. Do you have magnetic signs or lettering on your truck? You might not pick up a lot of customers this way, but name recognition is good.

Good luck,
  3. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Its still early in your area, dont panic yet. I'm finding myself also a little light on customers this season due to folks dying, moving, and just plain having cousin Vinnie who got laid off at the spice factory gonna do it this year...
  4. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Sodfather- Do you have that name on your trucks? I think I have seen you on the road. I'm based in Huntington Station. Anyway, I've seen businesses for sale in the Landscaper newspaper recently. Some with equipment, some without. Their link is This can get expensive, though. Like lawnguy said, it is early yet, and people start coming out of the woodwork when the weather gets better. Good luck, Mike.
  5. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Keep running your advertising campaign throughout the year. You may not get the thirty new customers now, but as the temps rise or homeowner equipment fails, or the lowball bidder never shows up after two weeks, etc, etc. You should be able to pick up at least ten during the summer due to those circumstances.

Your current plan sounds good, just let it run longer til the results improve.
  6. SodFather

SodFather LawnSite Member

I have been In your area only once or twice. Im mostly on the south shore.