Need more driveway grip. Suggestions

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by shovelracer, Jan 18, 2008.

1. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Im working on a proposal and the customer just asked me to do something about their driveway being so slick. basically they have a section that is probably 50% grade up to the garage. There are some drainage issues that are being addressed, but even without those problems the driveway is very slick when wet. It is sealcoated blacktop. We are trying to come up with something to provide more traction. Ideas so far have been 1) Cutting perpendicular grooves in the pavement similar to highway rumble strips. 2) coming up with some sort of coating that contains grit. Ive seen blacktop done with extra grit before, but not sure if the driveway is gonna get replaced yet.

Any other advice would be helpful. Thanks

2. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

talk to a good sealcoat company they have "grit" they can ad in to the solution to solve that issue no problem.

3. Tom B.

Tom B. LawnSite Member

I've used a product called rhino grip mixed in with a sealer and it does the trick.

4. csl

csl LawnSite Member

we had a concrete company that put a glass overlay on. basicly sand size pieces of glass that are smooth. the guy used this for the paving from his lower garage to the upper one. (the lower garage was a friggin golf shack!)

5. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I met up with them again today. Looks like we are gonna get the job if this guy can cough up the $$. Probably gonna wait for tax returns, but I think they are gonna replace the driveway now since half of it needs to come out for the wall installation anyways. They initially just wanted to patch it, but I convinced them otherwise I think. To bad its way to steep for pavers. We got some good answers though for future reference.