Need More H.P

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by luke1, Mar 28, 2004.

1. luke1

luke1 LawnSite Member
    from al

I just bought a Gravely ZTR 52 inch cut. It has a Kawasaki 23 H.P. on it , when I get in high grass, or thick grass, the engine wants to slow (bog) way down ( like it needs more power). Any ideas as to what to adjust.

2. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

That is when you slow down, a Z is great there is no doubt. But keep the RPM's up by slowing down. DONt lug the engine.
    Adjust your speed! You can only mow what your mower can handle you can't mow at full speed ALL the time.

Jim

3. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

They are 60" decks.

We never are short on power. Technically you have more power per inch of cut than I do.

I would say something is off about your engine...have it checked.

Are the plugs fouling, does it idle properly, backfire, sputter, choke 1/2 stuck, etc, etc, etc.

If you are talking about tall grass yes you will bog down some, keep the revs up by not "pushing the sticks" (ground speed) forward too far.

KB

4. LynyrdSkynyrd

LynyrdSkynyrd LawnSite Member

Luke
    Just like Jim said. You need to slow the ground speed down when you feel the engine bogging down.

Bogging a gasoline engine on any machine. You are doing nothing but destoring it. For it places so much stress on the rotating mass (crank, rod, piston, cam, valves, etc) that premature wear accures quickly for the parts can not get a good supply of oil which in turn causes excessive heat build up.

5. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

You know, there are limits to what you can do on a lawnmower. That's a pretty torquey engine. Slow down if that engine is bogging. And I suspect that past a point the problem is friction load on the belts and physically getting that much grass out of the deck at the rpm your mower can safely turn blades at, not engine power.