1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need more lawns

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by flascaper, Apr 23, 2008.

1. flascaper

flascaper LawnSite Member

I have a Landscape Install/design Business that was doing very well untill this past month for some reason people are sitting on proposals. Anyway I just bought a brand new Gravely promaster 44Z and have one. ( yep just one) lawn and I can't wait to get on it tomorrow. I need more lawns. How do you guys get soo many in such short periods? I advertise but have had little response for lawn mowing. Any advise?
  2. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Been a slow start this year. Really wierd as normally the phone is ringing off the hook and turning down work. Best way I have found for getting new clients is door hangers. Target areas you want to work in and go from there. Have not had to do that for years but am thinking about putting out a few hundred
  3. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

I am getting 1 our of every 3 or 4 bids I give for lawn service. I feel like what I am bidding for monthly service is too low already but these people want full service for like $65 a month and I cannot do it. Even if I had 10 in a row it would still be bad business because it is not enough money and when I bid they look at me like I have 10 heads and get very offended.

I don't have the answer man, I wish I did.
  4. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

hey i hear ya tamadrummer. i go bid a lawn maintenance job last week, when i got there, the guy comes out complaining about the last guy tearing up his lawn with his z rider and charging 70.00 a month. well i told him i also have a z rider but i do quality work, not quanity work and my price would be an extra 5.00 per week. didn't get the job...unreal
  5. flascaper

flascaper LawnSite Member

Yeh I know. In one neighborhood I have a great landscape client we are actualy tearing out her grass and putting in beds. Looks great but I also got her to sign up with me on lawns for 35 per cut then I find this flyer saying "have your lawn maintained for 50 dollars MONTHLY. I can't compete with that. I feel like I just wasted 4800 dollars. She now wants me to come down on the price. Florida = lowballers.
  6. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

Do not under any circumstance come down on your set price for her. She agreed and you have a deal. If she wants to fire you after the landscaping part is over, so be it but don't start out on a maintenance deal for less than you can handle because you won't want to be in that yard ever knowing that they are low-balling you and doing it in the face of $4 gas.

No thanks!