Need More Power 2500 Duramax

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Blessed 1, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Blessed 1

Blessed 1 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 2002 2500HD Duramax Siverado and I recently purchased a 8.5x20 ft enclosed Trailer with 7" added to the height. My truck knows that it is pulling a load. I am thinking about either adding a chip or upgrading to a 4" exaust. What do you reccoment to give me a boost. I am on a limited budget because I have a 07 Lazer Z XS at my dealer in the crate waiting on me to try to figure out how to get it and not get put out of my house (wife). Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

2. CutRight

CutRight LawnSite Senior Member

the banks complete power package is pretty impressive, i dont know what your looking to spend. for just under $2000 you get an added 300 horsepower and i forget how much torque. thats for the whole package though, exhaust, chip, power controller and whatnot. you can just buy components. im lookin to get the package myself, but just so i can burn more rubber.

3. Blessed 1

What is the Banks. Is there a websight?

4. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry, gotta call BS on this. You can't double an engine's horsepower for under $2K. You might add 50 hp, but is it worth $2K to accelerate a little faster? If you're a street racing kid, maybe, but a lawn care professional, maybe not. With that big trailer, you're going to know it's back there regardless of how much you spend on your motor.

5. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

You can "almost" double the Hp for a couple thousand dollars in that motor. The problem is you can't tow with all that power safelty without spending a lot more. You don't need that much horse to pull that trailer. I have had 5 Duramax diesels some I have tuned heavily others I never touched. A trailer that size should not give you great problems. I routinely pull 30K with a mildly tuned 3500. You may want to have yours checked out before you do anything to it. A trailer like your should be an easy day even with wind resistance factored in. The exhuast is important not so much for the power it will provide but the lowering of the EGTs (some say you gain about 30 hp from opening the exhaust up). That is important for further upgrades. Removing the factory exhaust will liven it up somewhat. I have used the Banks exhaust on 4 of my trucks. Overall very good system. I just purchased a Corsa for my 06. The exhuast from Banks will cost you about $700.00 You can find cheaper systems. The reason I spend more money on exhaust packages is I really hate the "drone" you get with cheaper systems. If that does not bother you, You could save money and get MSRB. I would try the exhaust first and see if that provides what you need. You can then step up to a programer if you want more power. A note: If your towing a lot it is always best to select a tuning system that will defuel and back itself off if it senses tranny slip and excessive EGTs. The LB7 in your 02 is a great motor. I had an 01 and 03 and as far as economy and power it has it all. If you want to read more about this go to the Dieselpage.com

6. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

Go to wwwthedieselplace.com. Do some searches and you'll find a boatload of info. There is a catagory for the LB7 electronics.

I have an '02 LB7 that is my daily driver. I have modded it, starting with the exhaust first, followed by the air intake, then a programmer. The exhaust, like stated earlier, will vary in price. Go to some of the web sites that you're looking at. Most of them have sound clips. I bought the Banks Monster turbo back, but have since taken out the muffler. Flowmaster's kit sounds good IMO, but I like 'em loud, hence the straight pipe. Whichever kit you get, I would go stainless.

The air intake kits will run you around $250. I think they are worth it, and they will also help lower your egt's. Some guys just replace the factory filter with an aftermarket, and claim the performance is as good. If you buy a chip, do the exhaust and intake/filter first.

I've heard more negative that positive on the Banks kit. Mostly that it's overpriced. You can get a 125 hp Edge with the Attitude moniter for around $750, and you can install it yourself. The hardest part is installing the probe for the pyrometer. EFI Live is a custom tuner that seems to be pretty popular currently. No matter what chip you get, you don't want to go past 125 hp with a stock tranny. Even the Allison has it's limits. Most chips have different hp settings, and they don't recommend going past 60hp while towing. This is to protect your egt's from getting too hot. 60hp gain with a 4+" exhaust and an air intake will be more than enough to pull that trailer loaded. The rest of the hp and torque you can play with on the weekend!:weightlifter: You can get all of that for around $1,500-$1,600 if you do a little shopping. www.kennedydiesel.com is a reputable company that I've bought from a few times. Also, check Ebay, once you know what you want.

7. Blessed 1

Now thats what I am talking about. You guys are really helping me. I have been a member here since 2002 and I love this learning tool.

8. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

Check out pacificp.com. They have some good programmers and they seem to beat everyone when it comes to power wise hp and in torque. I highly recommend this product, my buddy has one and he has banks, and edge and this product seem to give him the most power for the money. On your truck you get anywhere from 100hp and 180ftlb to 350hp and 530ftlb. But if you plan to get a programmer you might want to do the exhaust to make it breath better, but if you want your truck to perform right under the extreme mode I would get an intake, exhaust, and at least a stage one tranny if you plan to run over 100hp mode.

http://www.pacificp.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_35_29

9. Blessed 1

Thanks Guys. I just want to be able to get in the passing lane and increase speed on a slight incline when I have my equipment. I knoticed now that it takes a minute to get up to the 65 mph speed limit and if there is a hill you can forget speeding up or passing.:cry:

10. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

you must now know diesel very well, huh?....