Need mower advise for homeowner with acreage

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Lorge, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Lorge

Lorge LawnSite Member

I'm getting ready to buy a new mower and I wanted some input. I have it fairy well narrowed down. I am planning on getting a Hustler ZTR. I am looking at a FasTrak with a 54" deck or a Mini Z with a 42" deck. I like the Mini Z better because it is a fully commercial machine, but due to my budget, if I get that one it will have to be a smaller deck. The FasTrak is more of their homeowner type model, but it is still fairly heavy duty. I am wanting to get a good mower because I have a lot of yard to mow now, and it is pretty rough terrain (slopes/rocks/roots/etc.)

So, my questions is - Would you rather have a fully commercial unit with a 42" deck, or the homeowner model with a 54" deck? They are the same price and both have Kawi engines.

Also, do you think Hustler is a good choice? Or do you think an Exmark, Gravely, Scag, or something else would be better?

2. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd go with the fasttrak between the 2 more cutting deck .

3. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Dont waste your time with homeowner equipment unless you're starting out. With heavy use, it will break down often and you will have a lot of downtime.

4. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

uhhhhhhhh, he is a homeowner!!!!!!!!!

i would go for the ft. it has the same hydro setup as the 42" mini z, so you are not losing anything there. you have the same warranty on the frame and deck and you get a 4 yr warranty on other parts on the ft as opposed to a 2 year commercial warranty on the mini z.

the ft will last you many, many yrs. you will be ready for a new machine bf it wears out!

5. cybervision

cybervision LawnSite Senior Member

Check the Trim Capacity on both machines. I think the 42" is only 2.25 inches. If you have a lot of inside curved beds this may be small.

Also search the Hustler Forum. There are a lot of happy Fastrac owners.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=195056

6. All_Toro_4ME

7. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

8. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

.......... Here --->

9. All_Toro_4ME

My bad. LOL:laugh:

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You are in Scag country so you might want to check out the new Freedom series, it is a low end commericial but seems built pretty strong. If your area is like ours from standpoint of rock/divits/roots etc you really ought to consider the commericial unit with the small deck.