Need Mower for 5 to 6 acres....prices arae scary!

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Sonnie Parker, Jun 13, 2002.

1. Sonnie Parker

Sonnie Parker LawnSite Member

Okay, this is my first post, as you can see. I scrolled through several pages to see if I could find my answer but struck out.

I did learn one thing though, good riding mowers are expensive.

I believe I have about 5-6 acres to cut (guessing). About 2/3 flat and the other 1/3 hilly, but not bad hilly. There's a little carpet bermuda in the front and back from sod. The bermuda in the back is fenced in and cut with a walk behind mower. The rest is bahia, coastal bermuda, centipede, and weeds, all mixed. This was cow pasture at one time.

For everything except the fenced in area I use a Craftsmen 42" with a Kohler 19hp twin. It takes me forever to cut it...maybe 6 hours (maybe I have more than 5-6 acres cause sometimes it seems like it's all day - then again, sometimes I cut a tad more than others). It's weird shaped as well. I cut it weekly for about 9 months out of the year.

I want to speed this up, so I visit Sears again. They have the Craftsman 25hp B&S 48" cut for $2199 after a mail in rebate. I was thinking this would allow me to go faster and cut a little more each round I made. Then again, it doesn't seem like it could speed it up that much. 6 more hp and 6 more inches???

I'm thinking I need 60" to get the job done. But I can't see spending $5000 or more. I can't hardly see spending $3000.

So, I thought about a pull behind mower. We have a Kawasaki Mule that could pull a mower. Or for that matter I could pull it with the Craftsman I have now. (I'd probably sell it though.)

Can I get some tips on what to do and possibly where to look for a pull behind???

Thanks!

2. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

How about this...

Buy either a used commercial mower or buy new ... you will have no problem re selling it. If you can't get a "Z" get a 52" with velke.

3. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

4. Sonnie Parker

5. kris

from nowhere

Glad you like it... only suggestion now would be to get a mulch kit for it(if available)... once you see the results you will never look back.

6. Sonnie Parker

I wonder if the mulch kit would allow me to take off the shoot cover (or whatever that thing is called where the grass comes out)???

Or would I rather it throw the grass after it mulches it?

7. kris

from nowhere

No ...in order for the mulch kit to work the discharge "shoot" is covered with a plate. You won't be able to tell the differance with a mulch kit vrs bagging, unless you are mowing in wet conditions.
    The benifits of mulching are enormous.

8. Sonnie Parker

Yeah, that's what I need. Now the shoot has a cover but it not the sealed one, it just sticks out as normal. If I covered it up then maybe the dust wouldn't be quite so bad.

I didn't notice on Husqvarna site that they had a mulching kit. I'll check with my dealer tomorrow and see if they have one.

Is there a particular kit available that's better than another? I'm thinkin' it would just be blades and the shoot cover, right?

Thanks!

9. kris

from nowhere

On exmarks it is much more than blades and the discharge cover..check out their website for a better explanation.
    Good luck

10. Sonnie Parker

Actually I spoke with the dealer today and you are right, there's more to it than just the cover and blades. I plan on getting the kit, I believe it will be a good idea.

Thanks!