1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

need new 4wd compact

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by Pro-Scapes, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

What are some of the compact 4x4 tractors you guys are using and how do you like them. So far i have looked at the kubota... kioti (wasnt impressed with anything but the price) and i hope to look at a mahindra and JD soon. I need a bucket and also a belly mower and 3pt hitch. Our JD is way way too big.

Goals for it would be finish mow 3 of our 5 acres of grass... bucket and box blade and til as needed... and the ability to put on turf tires to use on jobsites.
  2. bedbug

bedbug LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

The Kubota B7800 is the best tractor ive owned. this is a compact , but has 4 cylinder 30hp,more torque than any comparable tractor.I purchased it 5 years ago and we use it everyday with my company Pro Lawn. You can see it on my website www.prolawn.us.
  3. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

I love my JD 4310. A little pricey, but you get what you pay for. I use it all summer and plow with it in the winter. I have no had an issue with it yet. 210 hours on it and it is still new. Any compact JD tractor is great.
  4. Pro-Scapes

whats the 7800 going for... i think i want a bit smaller like the bx24 or something. We have a 63 hp JD now thats just too freakinbig and hard on turf I need to head back to the kubota dealer and I wanna check out the new holland boomers as well.
  5. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Kubota will give you the most power in a light weight tractor, hands down, no other tractor can come close on the hp to lightweight ratio. If you are serious about the B7800, look into the B3030, it will run you about a grand more than the 7800, however, you get a much nicer machine, telescoping lower links, position control 3 PH, built in ratchet for lift arm leveling, telescoping sway arms, more pto HP, hydraulic independent pto, just to name a few! I was going to purchace a B3030 as i wanted a factory cab, but after testing both machines, if i was after an open station machine, i would still go for the 3030. That extra grand really is short money, when you add up all the extras you get for it! Both are fine machines and will serve you well. Dont even think about the BX line, they are useless for commercial landscaping!
  6. Pro-Scapes

great thanks i will check em out. Trying to get kubota to let a used unit he has in go for the day so i can put it thru its paces.

whats a fair price on a new 3030 with bucket ? I got all the other toys already including blade. finish mowers bushhogs discs etc.
  7. jd75760

jd75760 LawnSite Member

Hi Billy, I have a kubota bx24 and love it. As far as the post from Lawn King saying they are useless for commercial landscaping, he couldn't be more wrong. The bx24 is very powerfull, compact, and can get into a lot of places the bigger tractors cant. The backhoe is very strong and can be easily removed for using implements on the three point hitch. The frontend loader is awsome. You mentioned changing to turf tires but if you get the industial tires they work very well in both applications and will not tear up the turf. I am very picky about my yard and I use it around my house all the time and it leaves no marks or ruts at all. Do a search for bx24 and you can see pics of my tractor under bx24 by jd75760. You want be dissapointed in the kubota . If you have any questions feel free to ask me and I hope this has been helpful in your search for a compact tractor. Good luck with which ever one you decide to go with.
  8. Pro-Scapes

i stopped by kubota today and they were out of the bx tractors but will have more in a week.... my friend has a 10 yr old kubota mini tractor with a belly mower and bucket. We just installed 90 yards of fill with it in about 6 hours. Thats plenty of power and size for me. Im not building or excavating 20 ft walls or nuttin. Mostly want it for working more arond our ranch plus easy to transport for dirt work ect. Our big JD or our old Delux is just too freakin huge and heavy for most applications we do.

I guess its coming down to i want a new toy but a practical one.

what did you pay for your 24 ?
  9. jd75760

jd75760 LawnSite Member

I paid $12,500 for my bx24 and it only had 29 hrs on it. There is a dealer here in Tn. that has a bx23 which is the same as the 24 just 1 less hp it only has 50 hrs on it. He said he would take $12,000. I was going to buy it but I was able to talk the man down on my 24. Let me know if I can help.
  10. 021462

021462 LawnSite Member

JD2305 is what I bought and have added several implements since the purchase. I also looked at the KUBOTA B24 but had no use for the BackHoe at the time and that was the only way you could get it then. As far as power of this unit it has a 24 hp yanmar diesel engine and I have been very satisfied with it since day one. It has really helped me in the business and made me good money. Good luck whatever you decide.