Need new belts...troubled

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lorge, May 25, 2005.

1. Lorge

Lorge LawnSite Member

I need to replace the 2 drive belts on my Toro Walk Behind 44" Floating Deck. I ordered the standard replacement belts from Mowmore.com and they were too big. The replacement oem # in supply catalogs is different from the number on my belts. In mowmore and j-thomas the number is 51-4290. http://j-thomas.com/Catalog/189.htm My belt says OEM 104-8152 or Dayco 41-0945 on it. I wanna find an aftermarket manufacturer of the belt so I don't get ripped paying the price of around $60 per belt if I get the toro replacements from my local dealer. Help would be appreciated.

2. Gibs

Gibs LawnSite Member
    from canada

i had to replace one of mine and the toro dealership here closed soo i had to order a belt threw a bearing company and cost me 30$ a belt canadian and that was like shipped overnight and they charged me more but still came to like 30$...

3. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

Lorge,look for a place in your area that sells belts and or bearings,you will probably pay a third less.If you cant find one,you can send me an old belt and i can match it up for you if you like.....let me know.

4. Lorge

Lorge LawnSite Member

Anybody else had to replace drive belts on a mower like mine?

5. Gibs

Gibs LawnSite Member
    from canada

i have a 44" floating deck proline toro mower ... my belt broke and just wnet to a local bearing and belt store and they ordered me one for the next day.. you will save lots of $$ that way instead of goin threw a local toro dealer

6. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

NAPA or any parts supplier (auto, truck, or industrial) which sells Gates or Dayco.

7. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I guarantee they will have what you are looking for.

8. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I usually get my belts at Napa or Lesco.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Don't forget, order or buy 2 or 3 at a time so you always have a spare. I never have down-time because of belts (well at least it's only down until I get the spare out the truckbox).
    Yeah, try Napa, that's where I get transmission belts for the proline myself ($12 instead of $20).

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I couldn't agree more - especially the part of having extras. Just make sure you mark on the holder what they are for, to simplify things. I am spoiled, I guess, because around here, we have a place called MESCO. It is Manufacturers Equip. Supply Co.. They have every belt and pulley you could think of. We also have a Grainger here in town. The better auto stores are a great way to go. Helpful hint; There aren't that many actual manufacturers of belts in the world. In other words, Toro is not in the belt making business.