Need New Edger What to buy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cowhopper6811, Sep 7, 2002.

1. cowhopper6811

cowhopper6811 LawnSite Member

Yeah , I need a new edger really bad. but i dont know what i want. I can really only aford yeah i can't spell. I Can't spend over like 350 on this edger casue its getting close to the end of the season and i dont want to spend so much money. BUt i dont know what to buy, or werre to buy. i found a Mclane 801 Series for liek 260 but its 40 shipping witch is kinda worth it ... i think..... but i need it now. and then i was thinking why dont i just buy something that i can get around here. Does any one have any suggestions on what kind of edger i should get if i'm only gona be doing this for about 2 more years? yeah thanks
  2. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

a handheld edger?
    A. flip trimmer over use it as edger or
    B. look at brands in your area like stihl echo redmax
    i myself have an echo which sees little use
  3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Stick edgers are the only way to go. They are about $350 or more, but it'll be worth it. Spend more now and you won't regret it later.
  4. wmsland

wmsland LawnSite Member
    from NE OHIO

Spend a little extra money and buy a Power Trim edger with the Honda engine. It will outlast and out perform anything out there.
  5. How about a Troy built? Just detach the weedeater and pop on the edger and you have two for the price of one half.
  6. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

There have been alot of discussion on this subject of stick edgers vs wheel edgers. Use the search feature for further info on edgers.

I personaly use a stihl fs85 weedeater as my main edger just flip it up and start edging. I do own a stihl fc85 stick edger that I use incase if realy bad yards or ever so often to put a deeper trench on my yards. the stihl edger cost me 350 plus tax and I HIGHLY recomend it. Also if your going with a stick edger or any kind of edger get a star blade or one that has at least 4 cutting sides on it. the single straight blades that come on most edgers will not cut it for constant use from one yard to the next.

Stay away from any home use edger or weedeater product that you will be useing consistantly day in a day out. they don't hold up trust me. If you can afford the 350 then get a commercial unit like the stihl, echo, or shindawa.

Hope this helps