Need new hedge trimmers

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by hess, Jul 29, 2007.

1. hess

hess LawnSite Member

Looking to buy a new hedge trimmer but don't know looking at the echo 20 21.2cc engine 20" blade for 269.00 or the stihl HS 45 27.2cc motor 18"blade for 279.00. Any help well be great Thanks:confused: :confused:

2. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

NOTHING cuts like a red max. Echo's traditionally don't run that well over time. I currently have a new stihl and it's above average. If you trim a lot of hedges.....a red max will cut through anything...almost to the extent that if your arm gets tired, you might have a few oops's.

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Stihl HS-80 is what I have now. Cuts like a beast and starts easily. I dont think they have HS-80's anymore but now have HS-81T and R or something like that, one is for maintenance the other for heavy rejuvination.

4. J&T Kiev

J&T Kiev LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.W In.

I use the Stihl HS 80, and older Echo 1500 for touch up on smaller bushes, trimming bushes in tight spots etc. The majority of my bush trimming is done with the extended shaft Sthil HL 100, Echo 212. The extended shafts are much less fatiguing, easier on the back . The HS 80 is heavy, trimming bushes all day using it is very tiring work, comparable to trimming hedges with a chainsaw.

5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

6. hess

hess LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info if you had to buy one today what would you choose?

7. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

Stihl has always been my choice. They have never failed me. You get what you pay for.