Need new mower... what kind?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by jaw123, Aug 2, 2004.

1. jaw123

jaw123 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Hello, until now I have only been a spectator but now I need some help. I recently purchased a old home with a little over 4 1/2 acres to mow. There are many trees, outbuildings, fenced in pasture area, ect.... Lots of obstacles. My old jd with a 48 inch deck is on its last leg (the other side of the axle has just torn itself off the frame). With the JD it took me about four hours to mow. I am looking to cut that time down significantly so I can spend more time gardening and doing other outside chores. I take good care of my equipment and I am not afraid to spend the big buck on a quality machine that with good maintenance will last. So what do I get? I figure a zero turn, but who's and how large of a deck? Terrain is fairly level. I also like to bag my lawn on occasion so please take it into consideration that at some point in time, likely not now, I would probably purchase a bagging attachment. I have always been impressed with JD but I do not know how their zero turns are. I have had several people remark about Ferris and their front suspension.

Thanks in advance,
    James

2. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome to the forum James you will have too demo some ztr to see what you like and what dealers are in you area.

Remember more power is always the best way to go.

If your area is flat think of a 72in

3. jsmonroeCT

jsmonroeCT LawnSite Member
    from CT

James,

Welcome. 4.5 acres is a great lot, which is a lot to mow. Exmark. Ferris, Scag are all great mowers that will do a great job on the lawn. A lot of guys on the site are pro-exmark and you may want to post on the commercial side of the forum. Anything of 48" or over should cut your time down from 1.5 hours or less.

Use this as a calc to figure acres per hour:

@ 80% = width of deck * (.80 * top speed) / 99 = total acres per hour
    @ 100% = width of desk * (1.00 * top speed) / 99 = total acres per hour

Good luck.

4. shm

shm LawnSite Member

JSmonroe- check your private message box....just curious

shm

5. JHE

JHE LawnSite Member

I am a home owner who bought a Full Size Hustler Z and it is one of the best equipment investments I made. Get the biggest deck you can. I went with a 60" deck because there are no real close obsticles in my yard like trees, fences, landscaping beds, etc. Be careful and look around your yard - if you are going to spend 1/2 an hour trimming around stuff with a push mower then the bigger deck is not worth it. If I could have afforded the 72" I would have bought it. I really wanted to save time and a bigger deck will help. Also, get as much horsepower as you can - I have some fairly steep hills and I can feel my 25hp Kawasaki bog down a little when I am cutting through tall grass. Think about blades (what type? run doubles? spares?) and save some money for that. Also, take the stock discharge chute off and get a OCDC like quickchute or another brand. I wish the mowers came with these things. You can get a trailer hitch for most of these mowers if you want to drag your little landscape cart/trailer around the yard.

6. mowhigh

mowhigh LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

With as many obstacles as you seem to have, maneuverability may be more important than an oversize deck. Even a 48" ztr should be able to cut your mowing time in half. Bagging really slows you down and robs your turf of nutrients and fertilizer; try a mulching kit first. You've gotten some good recommendations already; I'd add the JAZee (currently discounted under $4k) or Charger (www.countryclipper.com) if there's a dealer in your area.