1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need new mower... what kind?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jaw123, Aug 3, 2004.

1. jaw123

jaw123 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Hello, until now I have only been a spectator but now I need some help. I recently purchased a old home with a little over 4 1/2 acres to mow. There are many trees, outbuildings, fenced in pasture area, ect.... Lots of obstacles. My old jd with a 48 inch deck is on its last leg (the other side of the axle has just torn itself off the frame). With the JD it took me about four hours to mow. I am looking to cut that time down significantly so I can spend more time gardening and doing other outside chores. I take good care of my equipment and I am not afraid to spend the big buck on a quality machine that with good maintenance will last. So what do I get? I figure a zero turn, but who's and how large of a deck? Terrain is fairly level. I also like to bag my lawn on occasion so please take it into consideration that at some point in time, likely not now, I would probably purchase a bagging attachment. I have always been impressed with JD but I do not know how their zero turns are. I have had several people remark about Ferris and their front suspension.

Thanks in advance,
  2. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

I would look for a good used mower. The commercial mowers being built today are all world class compared to the current class of home owner mowers.

There should be several LCO's who post on this web site. have mowers available for sale and will demo them on your property.

You can get a quality mower that will last as long as you own the property.

3. anteater6788

anteater6788 LawnSite Member

If you have a dealer close I would look at a Lesco ZTR, I think they would provide the best mower for the money. The Deere Z-Track mowers are also very good units as are most of the commercial ZTR's so I would make dealer support a major part of your decision.
  4. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

scag has a clam shell bagger which is nice exmark has a clam shell and grasshopper that i know of maybe check in to scag or exmark great mowers look into dealers tho because you not running a lawn care company you are probley going to depend on them
  5. benb0808

benb0808 LawnSite Member

Walker 60" front deck mower.....great mower with a great bagging system

6. w900okla

w900okla LawnSite Member

get u a dixie chopper if u want to be done with it quickly 10 to 15 mph and they cut good at that speed