Need New Mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by laxnlawn, Mar 12, 2013.

1. laxnlawn

laxnlawn LawnSite Member

Im 17, and do landscapaing the Philly area. I've been doing mowing for 4 years and need a new mower. I have an echo-pb 500, and an echo trimmer I bought last year, and a toro personal pace thats newer.

Now I need a new mower, I made the terrible mistake of not knowing what I was doing last year, and taking bad advice, and bought a new craftsman rear engine rider for $1000, not knowing what I was doing (Craftsman). Im trying to sell that for $600 now and buy a WB or ZT (also have 700 cash to spend on one). I will be cutting around 8 residential lawns in my neighborhood a week, but they are only around 1/3 acre each.. However, I only had 5 last year and the rear engine just took forever to cut them, at least an hour each. There are no hills to worry about. I know that residential zt's are considered crap on here but I only have $1000. Its a 2011 42 inch toro timecutter. I'll post link to add under here. I'm almost set that I'm going to buy a used mower and only have $1000. All of my lawns are within a distance where I can ride the mower on the street to the house.
    Any ideas?

Ive been all over craigslist every day for the past month looking for a mower.

2. laxnlawn

laxnlawn LawnSite Member

3. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

It will do alright, but I would advise a belt drive 36 or 48 inch walkbehind. They can be had for a similar price, are simple to fix, and last a long time. Add a sulky when you get the hang of things and youll be knocking lawns out quick. Good luck

4. skorum03

skorum03 LawnSite Senior Member

I also say go with the walk behind. You can find a commercial quality walk behind for the same price as you will find a used residential zeroturn. That being said, the decision should be relatively easy.

YardBros Outdoors
    www.yardbros.com

5. ztman

ztman LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with skorum and landfakers, get a good walk behind. That toro looks like it has some hours on it. The tires look bald and over inflated. I assume from the ad is a pic a on a dealers lawn who is trying to sell the mower. Who ever used it doesnt look like they knew how to operate a zt

6. laxnlawn

laxnlawn LawnSite Member

just the info I was looking for, especially ztman's comment! I had no idea you could notice that much just from a picture. will look further into belt drive and sulky. thanks everyone

7. laxnlawn

laxnlawn LawnSite Member

8. laxnlawn

laxnlawn LawnSite Member

what abt this? its still residential but looks less beat up and isnt a big box store mower..

9. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Eh, still looks a little shaky. Not a big fan of resdiential mowers

10. ztman

ztman LawnSite Bronze Member

I assume that was a pic of the mower when it was new, because the ad says currently in storage and will take out for pic.