Need new shorts

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Acute Cut, Aug 21, 2004.

1. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

my neighbor rented a bobcat 753 for a few days. I ran over and asked him if i could borrow it for a few as i wanted to move some stuff. EGATS:eek: !

I have never used one and i dang near killed myself. I was hopping and bobbing all over the place. Not to mention the foot controls seem backward for some reason to me so i kept sending the bucket up when i wanted to go down. Try making that mistake when you are rocked way back (or seemingly so) and then trying to put bucket down to bring the front back down QUICKLY! OOPS! I was looking straight up i thought! Scared the heck out of me. I took it back after a few as my lack of confidence and fear of breaking something made me a useless operator. I have respect for you guys that can handle that machine so well. KUDOS TO YOU!

I finally was able to pull my underoos out of my @$$. Now if i could just find my car keys!

2. jaybird

jaybird LawnSite Senior Member

thats funny, i always said a bobcat is better than a shovel-but just barely.

3. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

I love hearing stories from first-timers.:D

I can always tell when the pucker-factor is *really* high, just by reading the post!

Did your nieghbor not give you a lesson on which pedal was which?

The way I always tell new operators on skids with foot controls, is to make your toes go the direction you want the boom/bucket to go. In other words, if you want the boom to go up you put your left heel down (your toes up). You want the boom to go down, your toes go down.... Pretty simple. The hardest part (as you may have noticed) is remembering which foot controls which part of the machine.

Run it for a couple of days and you'll quickly get the hang of it.

Oh, and a 753 is a shorter wheelbase, so it will be bouncier than you might like....

Dan

4. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

funny stuff. the first time i ever tried a bobcat, there was a little hill. i went over it and i thought i was going to flip. it took me some time to trust that i wasn't going to flip if i hit a pebble.... i gave my brother some time in it, and i saw him on the same hill...... there was no way in hell that was falling.... but he said the same thing.

always keep spare shorts behind the seat.:)

5. D Felix

I'd like to see you guys in a mini-excavator!:D See if you can either a) cross a trench, or b) go up or down a terrace cut.

That'd make you pucker the first time.:D:D

Dan

6. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I let a friend borrow my 753 a few weeks ago (idiot, idiot, idiot) and he blew a hyd. line. He replaced a bunch of them while he had it apart and hooked up the boom hyd backwards! Quite a surprise indeed!

7. D Felix

Have you ever run a mini-ex with the controls hooked up wrong (wrong meaning not what you are used to?). On most (all?) of the Bobcat's I've run, there's the switch to go from standard to ISO, but we rented a tiny mini-ex (Takuechi TB-007) from NationsRent once. It had no selector switch and was hooked up as an ISO machine. I'm used to standard....

I'm lucky I didn't kill either of the hombres that were with me that day... I did keep them on their toes though!

Dan

8. GreenMonster

from NH

I'll take a few pics of where I have my mini right now. It's probably not as bad as it feels (like Adam is talking about), but I had to creep down a hill (wet & sloppy too) with the blade just off the ground, and the boom in the opposite direction to alleviate that tippy feeling.

I was never so puckered as when we were loading the mini and skid steer onto a heavy equipment trailer -- you know, the kind you disconnect from the tractor and drive onto with large excavators, payloaders, etc. Well, we got the mini on first, then drove up with the skid steer. We had to put the mini bucket on the skid bucket as I crept up, so it wouldn't tip backwards. Well, bro-in-law was not used to the "deere" control set-up on my mini, and went up with the mini bucket about 1' accidently. That 1' was a long ride in the skid steer!

I've never crossed a trench with a mini. You must use your bucket to help you out with that?

9. GreenMonster

from NH

Only mini I've ever run is mine. I don't know which is which, but I'm told mine is "backwards". It seems more intuitive to me, though.

left joystick:

l/r: house
    front/back: boom

right joystick:

l/r: bucket
    front/back: dipper

me likey that way, probably cuz it's how I learned. B4 joysticks, it was all backhoe valves.

10. D Felix

That's exactly how I run them. That's the way that makes sense to me, though I think a lot of the Japanese excavators have the house and dipper sections switched.

As for crossing trenches, yep, I use the bucket to help lift one side up until it is on solid ground, then swing the house and do it for the other side. Similar way for going up/down terrace cuts....

I may have a picture that shows the end result of this.....

Here it is. It's not too clear on where back section of tracks is, but there was only about a foot of the tracks on solid ground....

Dan

edit: Hey Acute- sorry about hijacking the thread!!

image44resize.jpg