1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need new trimmer, which brand???

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Mr. Burns, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Mr. Burns

Mr. Burns LawnSite Member

Don't like HD/Lowes, so which $200 trimmer would work well for me?? About 45mins to 1 hour each week use, and I need an edger for around driveway and walks.

I've heard Shindawia/Stihl/and Echo are durable, but what y'all think??? Want durable and fast starting.
  2. Paul Corsetti

Paul Corsetti LawnSite Member

You will not get a stihl,or shin.,or echo for 200, you will get a homelite or ryobi or something of that quality for that price ,all the top of the line equipment will be 250 to 400 each plus tax
  3. green thum

green thum LawnSite Member

:waving: Ijust recently purchase a robin s281 trimmer for $295.00,very satisfied so far.I havent seen anyone comment on this brand though.
  4. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

Actually, you could get a Shindaiwa HomePro (their "homeowner" model.. but even still, carries a 6 month COMMERCIAL warranty I believe.. or that could be the HomePro hedge trimmer) for anywhere from $179 for a curved shaft (which they have changed the guard on) to $219 for a straight shaft.

I'm sure Stihl has something like this also.. and I'm almost sure you could find an Echo at Home Cheapo that has been returned by somebody for around $200.

By the way.. Echo is the perfect brand for HomeCheapo to carry. In those big buildings, things always echo,echo,echo.
  5. rredogg

rredogg LawnSite Member

If you've go a Stihl dealer near you stop on in. They have machines for multi-tasking, that way you could have one piece of Stihl equipment and with a change of attachments you'd possibly save $$$ by not having to purchase two pieces of yard equipment. Stihl is a quality machine.

Good luck which ever way you go, rredogg
  6. bobcat175

bobcat175 LawnSite Senior Member

Try Husqvarna.. I have a 325L and would buy it again. I would make sure that whatever you get is a straight shaft.
  7. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

I purchased a Stihl FS55 last summer and it is more than enough for your yard. It was $199 at my local dealer. I was going to step up to an 80 or 85 but for use on my yard only I couldn't justify the $$$ difference.
  8. Mr. Burns

Thanks for the info guys!!! I have done some more research and it seems a strait shaft, solid driven (no cables) with the ability to bolt on a grass gator cutting adaptor. I hate using strings and will bolt on a grass gator (3 blades nylon) instead of a wad of trimmer line. I like the idea of 4-stroke for the quiet, smooth running. The quieter and smoother the better. I don't care too much about an extra pound or two, because I am a straping young man and sure can lift alot!!

Which Stihl/Shin/Echo/Redmax would be best and what can I expect to pay??

It seems I'm looking at an edger too/ or a all in one machine. How much???
  9. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I use a robin nb205o and nb2001 trimmer, i really like the light weight and they have been good trimmers and held up good
  10. Mr. Burns

Can anyone else speak about Robin trimmers??? I've never heard of them.....where can you buy in the Tidewater area???