1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need ONE worker...can I save on liability ins.?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by lawnranger44, Apr 27, 2005.

1. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

We're planning on adding one part-time, possibly full time, worker this year. We always thought we would just purchase some liability ins. to cover for him, but apparently my dad talked to my old boss the other day. He said when he first started hiring people (like when he only had one worker) that he treated him as an independent contractor (on paper) so that the worker would be responsible for any injuries.

I am aware that a worker can make up to $600 to automatically be considered an independent contractor, and not pay taxes. (My accountant told me this) My question is, is it legit to structure things like this, and is it logical? Does the worker still pay taxes if he makes over the $600?
  2. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

To be legal, no. An independant contractor makes his own schedual, uses his own tools etc. You will also need to check into workmans comp, withholdings (social security etc) to do it right.