1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Need Opinion about this Mower

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by RBall151, Apr 19, 2004.

1. RBall151

RBall151 LawnSite Member
    from KS

I found a mower, and I'm only looking to do around 10-12 residential yards a week. I'm 18, so it's just a summer job before I head back to College.

I'm trying to find out how much this mower is worth, and what you guys think about this mower for the jobs I will be doing.

The Mower is a 36" Toro Eaglestar. It's got a Kawasaki FB460V engine, and I think it's a 15hp engine. It's a 1993, and it says on the engine, Full Pressure Lubrication, Cast Iron Cylinder Liner, Reciprocating Balancer and it has an Electronic Ignition.

I just got it started up today, but I have to fix a flat tire before I can start mowing with it. What are some things I can check it for before I buy it..ect?

Any rough estimates what it's worth?

Thanks!

2. RBall151

RBall151 LawnSite Member
    from KS

Any thoughts...help!

3. Signature Services

Signature Services LawnSite Member

Sorry man, don't know anything about this thing.

4. roadhawg3

roadhawg3 LawnSite Member

You need to get as much info as possible, try to find out some history about it, how was it maintained? was it used in a commercial business? replacement cost? it is almost 12 years old, but if was only used occasionally it could have a lot of life left in it . So check it out with that in mind.

5. RBall151

RBall151 LawnSite Member
    from KS

For the Past 3 years, it's been sitting in a storage shed..and it's been maintained regularly. It has a brand new belt on it, but it needs a new tire from sitting for so long.

It was owned by a "friend", and he just mowed about 5 yards a week with it. Before that, it was owned by a 18 year old at the time..and just mowed around the neighborhood.

My main worry is if I buy this thing, and the transmission goes out..or something major (200$) repair is needed. Do I just hope for the best after I've tried it out?

6. sgtyork

sgtyork LawnSite Member

have a mechanic (prefer small engine) check it out
    most people very happy to help a young guy out
    (feeds our ego)