Need Opinion Fast!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Howie's Lawn Care, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

:help: I'm going to buy an edger, trimmer, and blower to be my primary piece of equipment in each category. Are these good choices to go with? Are the prices good? Any advice would be appreciated.

STIHL 4-MIX - FS 130 R Trimmer - $399.99
    STIHL 4-MIX - FC 110 Edger - $399.99
    STIHL 4-MIX - BR 550 Backpack Blower - $399.99
  2. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Slow down. The worst thing you can do with new equipment is make snap decisions.

If you are just doing regular maintenance then the FS 100 would be fine and cheaper.
    the FC 85 would also be fine and cheaper for your edger.
    a BR 550 or 420 would be fine. They are both good and very similar priced.

Personally I might think about buying a better mower.

Shin, redmax also make quality equipment. Echo is a distinct step up from what you currently own. Almost any commercial equipment will be better than what you currently own.
  3. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Junk. I had too many problems with mine, I'd take it in to get the valves adjusted and they'd go out of adjustment the next day. It would run like crap unless perfectly level on your back. Do your self a favor and buy a regular 2 cycle until they get the bugs worked out.

The prices your saying are alittle high compaired to what I can get them for, those are the retail prices, most dealers around here give discount to commercial cutters. I got the br550 for 360, retail was 399.

BTW, the stihl rep took the br550 back so I could buy an echo 651, I like it WAY better, way more power and about the same price and a couple lbs lighter. I never used to look at echo but its proven to be good equipment, i also have a set of their hedge trimmers and they're great.
  4. parttimer

parttimer LawnSite Member

That is one heavy mo chen i just tried one yesterday its not for me just dont sound right i guess im just old school i love my fs 85ss they are great. :dizzy: :dizzy: :blob3:
  5. GLC51

GLC51 LawnSite Member

I like Echo. Have you considered getting a PAS260? It's a power head that you change attachments, I have a trimmer head , and edger, a pro sweep and a straight hedge tirmmer attachment for it. I also have a dedicated trimmer Echo SRM 260, an edger PE3100 too the PAS260 works as a backup but I use it with the hedge trimmer a lot. I also have a PB603 blower. Bakcpack blowers come in a variety of sizes, I bought this one then they came out with an even bigger one wish I had it. You seldom see anyone saying "gee I wish this piece of equipment was less powerful" It depends on how much you want to spend and what dealers you have where you live. Around here no one carries Shindawa, Redmax etc. It's either Stihl or Echo ( for commercial stuff).
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah I like the 4-cycle backpack but for the trimmer and edger, I got 2-cyclers.

Also for the edger I got the homeowner's model for 250 dollars because I only use it when I do mulch, the rest of the time I edge with the weed-eater.
    Far as weed-eater well I have the echo srm-260s but before that I had the stihl fs-85 and that thing kicks really good butt.
    only time you might need the 4-cycler is to clear HEAVY weeds (like in the woods) and it's just too heavy for me otherwise.
  7. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I think that I will stick to the 85 pro series cuz the 4 mix series looks heavy.
  8. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

the fs 100 weighs almost the same as the fs 85 (which is not going to be made for much longer as I hear). But either way they are nice machines. The best thing to do is decide if you NEED the best (read as most expensive) or if you can get a decent commercial one for you usage. I maintain around 70 properties weekly and have the fc 75 and fs 85 and they are just fine for our usage.
  9. Shane7258

Shane7258 LawnSite Member

Not that Tim "The Toolman" Taylor has any say in the lawn business but here it goes ARhhh ARhhh Arhhh More power! I have a small backpack echo and now I see why I should have paid 2 bucks more for the bigin Definately go all commercial equip and the handy dandy do it all acessorize thing ma bob if it breaks your out on not one not two but three devices and a little bit more money since those acessories are'nt cheap save the headache. :cool2:
  10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

If I was starting out I would not buy a 4-mix, they need more time to see how those units are going to perform. Stick with 2 stroke, Echo SRM260 or SRM230 will make you a nice lightweight trimmer that will hang with the rest of the brands. If you are going to have only one backpack don't get one of the big heavy units they are hard on back and use more gas and need more repair than the smaller units.