1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need Opinion for 2nd Mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CLPS, Jun 28, 2008.

1. CLPS

CLPS LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Right now I do almost all residential lawns, and use a 60" laser z 99% of the time. However I want to pick up some commercial accounts in the future and am looking for a second mower for tighter and more contoured areas. I have two very different options in mind. 1) 48" Exmark Turf Tracer or 2) 48" Walker MB. I don't need to bag with this mower, just mulch, and my dealership services both, not concerned about cost for now, so basically it comes down to walk behind or rider. What do you all find more time efficient, quality of cut, comfortable operating all day, etc...? Which one would you get?
  2. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

if you want something for tight areas that you can maneuver instantly, check out the Scag Pro-V. we just bought one a couple weeks ago and this thing is really quick. It can go almost 8mph and the controls are instantaneous which makes you almost as productive as a rider, but you get all the benefits of a rider.

it can be operated with one hand if needed, and is really comfortable to use, no fatigue whatsoever from the control system, just from using a sulky if that bothers you.

guys say its not so good on hills, but i beg to differ, we bought this specifically because we have hills that we cannot mow with our rider and it does just fine.
  3. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

i love the TTHP. i have a 48" w/ a proslide and love it. its my primary mower now, but im looking at geting a z soon (next week i hope)
  4. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I personally would go with the walker MB. Its a really nice non bagger walker. I have not heard one complaint about the new style with the manual blade clutch. If you are going to used it as a mulch only machine. You can only get a 42" mulch deck. Which is the best mulching deck ever built. I have seen one take down 6" soaking wet tall fescue at 3/4 speed and not leave one spec of grass.

Its always better to ride than walk. If you want more of a walkbehind, I would look at a 48" Wright stander then. Productive of a Z but with out the wear and tear on you like a walkbehind with a sulky.
  5. Icepuck72

Icepuck72 LawnSite Senior Member

I'd stick with the Exmark. I have a TTHP and love it.
  6. CLPS

CLPS LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Thanks for the input. One prospective account I have been keeping an eye on is a really tight 17 acre housing development, mostly to small for my 60" Z and I just can't image walking that whole thing every week. My friend keeps pushing me to get the TTHP but I think that Walker MB or similar would be the ticket. I think it would be faster as well.