1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need Opinion On Advertising Need Alot Of Feedback

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by cooperlandscaping, Jun 3, 2008.

1. cooperlandscaping

cooperlandscaping LawnSite Member
    from NE ohio

Need Everyones input on advertising. LIKE.
  2. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

I have just the opposite opinion of everyone else on this site. Here it is. The newspaper works best for me. I've gotten a ton of work out of it this year. I also tried door hangers and those haven't worked great, but I need to hand out a ton more of those for those to be effective I think. Good luck to you.
  3. One_Man_Army

One_Man_Army LawnSite Member

I have signs on my truck and trailer....works very well.
    I agree with the newspaper thing, it works for most people.
    I post on my local craigslist...sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't but its free so the only thing you waste is a little bit of time.

As far as landing commercial accounts goes it is sometimes hard to find them but when you do there is only one thing that gets in the way of most people and that is intimidation. If you used to bidding $30-$50 lawns, looking at over 3 acres full of obstacles can be quite intimidating. I use a rolling wheel to get an accurate lot size and after a little math I find out how much time it will take me and I turn in a bid...pretty simple.

I only mow commercial because I like staying at one place for four hours and making $300 so I definatley recommend that you take a stab at it.
  4. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

yep. been advertising in the local papers..starting to get alot of calls.:clapping:
  5. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

i did well with flyers
  6. cooperlandscaping

cooperlandscaping LawnSite Member
    from NE ohio

thank you for all of your input i will take all the ideals i can get.
  7. SilkKnitter

SilkKnitter LawnSite Member
    from Zone 5

WORD OF MOUTH works the best. Neighbors telling neighbors! You may also want to try free advertising sites, link your web-page if you have one. Get your name out there however you can.

You should also start checking the free online sites for work needing to be preformed. Oh and you could try service-magic.
  8. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

i tried newspaper,they worked well;if you want to deal with all the crackpots and cheapies they work fine.i have just used the phone book these last ten years and have gotten better quality customers which makes me happy even though the volume isn't there.our local paper comes out twice a week and charges 40.00 for a business card add for each issue.it used to be 8.25 but then everything goes up. i pay 50 some odd dollars a month for my business telephone which gives me a free one line add in the local and county phone books.you can get more traffic with a bigger add and it is better quality of customers than the newspaper i think.
  9. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

how do i link free sites to my web site?
  10. Edge08

Edge08 LawnSite Member

Marketing is THE MOST IMPORTANT aspect of operating your business. You should make it a priority. I have developed a pretty comprehensive marketing strategy for my business.

1. Referral marketing. Develop meaningful relationships and earn the trust of your clients so they will deliver you constant referrals.

2. Direct Mail. A sequence of 3 direct response marketing pieces to a targeted list.

3. Customer mining. Extract the maximum $ from each of your existing clients.

4. Website. Use your website to collect leads, use an email autoresponder to develop the relationship and make the sale.

5. Joint ventures. Sell to other company's clients. Also offer the other company's services to your clients and make a commission.

6. Yellow pages/val pak. This stuff is much more advanced. I would not go there without the help of an experienced Green Industry consultant.

7. Wrap-around graphics on your vehicles. This is the new trend, and it works.

I stay away from fliers/doorhangers. In my market, most neighborhoods get saturated with them so its difficult to stand out and differentiate. It gets to the point where they all look the same and say the same thing. The homeowner picks up on this and automatically dismisses any fliers they get in the box.

If you want more detail on how I use any of these marketing strategies, send me a message.