1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need opinions fast (impact wrench and winch)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Howie's Lawn Care, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys,
    I bought an electric impact wrench and I ended up not being able to jack my mower up high enough. The impact wrench was $70.00 and is 120 volt. It seems pretty nice. It claims up to 180 ft/lbs of torque. I was talking to the guys at TSC and they recommended a one ton chain hoist or the 1500lb electric winch. The winch was $82.00, and I went ahead and bought it. Will it work if I mount the winch on a beam on the ceiling of my garage and use it like a hoist for my ZTR. I want to be able to change the blades fast. I know its a decent amount of money to spend on changing blades, but I think its convenience will pay off and I could always mount it on my trailer later on. Also, what do you guys think about the stats and prices I paid for the equipment? Is this a decent way to change blades? Thanks for your help and advice.

-Nick Howard
  2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Beam? Wooden 2x6 type beam? If you reinforce it then sure.
  3. Howie's Lawn Care

I'm talking about a real thick support beam going across the top of the garage. I'm wondering if a winch is alright or if I should be using a hoist.
  4. brudot

brudot LawnSite Member
    from CT

Some of the cheaper electric winches ($82 is on the cheaper side) are only good for pulling loads. They cannot be used for lifting because they don't have a way of controlling lowering anything that you would lift. I.E. they are free spooling when you let the cable out.
  5. treemeat

treemeat LawnSite Member

how about a floor jack?

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

How about pulling your mower up on the ramp of your trailer with one side hanging off slightly? It works for me in a pinch.

I also use automotive ramps at home. I get enough to clear my 18volt Ridgid impact wrench.
  7. Howie's Lawn Care

Thsnks for the idea. I'll try that.
  8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Yes just pull the front end up on the trailer gates and use a simple socket wrench...one on top and one on bottom. And if you got spindles that don't have bolts with nuts ...use simple blade block(2/4 with clamp) and socket.
  9. Howie's Lawn Care

I don't understand the simple blade block part.
  10. mr mow

mr mow LawnSite Senior Member

dont do it, buy your self a cordless impact. i bought a ridgid it works great. i damn near cut my thumb off using wrenches with good protective gloves on(we sharpen the blades daily).