1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need opinions on 14" Chainsaws

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by frogman18, May 5, 2008.

1. frogman18

frogman18 LawnSite Member

First let me say you guys have a great site here.

Im looking for a small 14" chainsaw for some small tree trimming/pruning jobs that are to big for the hedge trimmer and to small for me to bring out the big saw. I dont need a commercial grade saw because its not going to be often enough for me to justify the cost. Ive been looking at the Stihl MS180 and the Echo MS306 but im open to other options in this price range. What do you huys think?
  2. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

I like Stihl, have two. But, just recently used a small Poulan to trim limbs up. On a ladder 20' up. It was light, and started with just a pull--saw was 15 years old also.
  3. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Stihl 180 gets my vote. The older I get, the more I like that little lightweight saw. Perfect for those small, occasional jobs.
  4. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

For a second saw, I have my eyes on this one: http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/MS192T.html

Designed for one handed operation. I've handled one in the store, but never run it. It feels like it would be perfect for pruning and limbing. They make one about the same size with a bigger motor, but it is waaay pricey at $600. The MS192T is under $300.
  5. Cooter

Cooter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

Top handle saws are not for the occasional user.
  6. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

I 2nd Cooter's comment. Top handled doesn't mean for one hand use, although a lot of people do that. It's really designed to be compact and easier to use for tree workers working aloft. Even though I have an ms200 from my tree working days, a conventional handled saw is much more comfortable for general use.
  7. frogman18

frogman18 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the answers i went ahead and picked up the Stihl MS180 this afternoon. Cant wait to try her out once the rain quits.
  8. Cooter

Cooter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

That saw should serve you well for many years.