Need opinions on 19hp Kaw on a 52" stander

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bwilder10h, Mar 14, 2007.

1. bwilder10h

bwilder10h LawnSite Member

I'm looking at one of these used about 30 miles from my house. The unit is owned by an older guy that used it to mow 4 acres at his place. Hour meter reads 90 or so...

Most of these I've seen have 23hp kaw's and I'm just wondering if this will be underpowered or worth the time to buy it.

I'm replacing a 17hp Toro 44" gear w/b and dont have a lot of $ to buy new.

2. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 19 hp Kawi on a bobcat rider and its great however I belive its the bigger 19 hp then on the standers. Still it should not be to bad but may bog a bit in really tall grass.

Cheers
    Jeff

3. bwilder10h

I was just on their website and notice they also sell the 52" with a 25hp Kaw. Man... that thing must be a beast! :weightlifter:

I wish they would tell what the ground speed differences are on their website but I didn't see anything...

4. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

The 19hp does ok, but I wouldn't buy one if you like mowers to not be underpowered.

5. bwilder10h

Can you elaborate on that... first hand experiences?

6. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

I have 52" wright stander with the 23hp kawasaki and i love it....lots of power and will cut anything that i put in front of it...

7. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Difference in ground speed between what? The engine will not change the ground speed at all if thats what you mean.

8. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I have used a 19 hp 52 stander where I used to work for a year. That thing had great power in the wet grass, traversing hills,etc. The ground speed is roughly almost 9mph. I used once to cut a lawn that was wayyyy overgrown, grass maybe 1 foot tall. It didnt really bog at all, and just rolled right through it. I have no complaints to the stander at all. If I would have had enough money, I would have gotten a stander versus my scag

9. bwilder10h

Thanks for the feedback...

So a 25hp wont run faster than a 19?

10. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

No, the 25 hp wont go any faster. It will just be able to handle heavier, wet grass easier. The hydros will only let you go so fast, no matter what hp you are running