Need opinions on Grass Hopper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JGT, Feb 13, 2000.

1. JGT

JGT LawnSite Member

I'm looking at Dixie Chopper and Grass Hopper. I've read a lot about the DC here but nothing about the Grass Hopper. How do the two compare? What's your experience with Grass Hopper? <br>Thanks! <p>----------<br>JGT<br>

2. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I use walker mowers and I would suggest them to any one,but since you did not ask about walkers I will not press my opinion on what I use.So back to you question.If I had to pick between dixie and hopper I would pick the dixie for commercial mowing becouse it is very fast and reliable,and I would use the Hopper on smaller jobs and also in cases where you need it for more than one purpose (snowblowing,sweeping and so on).It dependes on what type of work you do.Could you tell us so we could better understand what you would need the mower for?If so I think I and most others will have more useful answers.All mowers have their pro's and con's<br>the challenge is not finding a good mower it is finding a mower that best fits into your work situation.<p>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care

3. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

JGT, I've got two grasshoppers, a 725 and a 721D both with 61&quot; decks. I've had virtually no problems with either machine. The reason I chose grasshopper is the outfront deck which just happens to be my preference. Also I doubt if there is a machine on the market that rides any better due to the long wheelbase. Possibly a negative due to trailer space, but I get both machines on an 8 x 20 trailer along with either a scag sthm or an exmark turf ranger, or a Bunton BHR depends on the day which of the latter three we use. The wide range of attachments is also a big plus for the grasshopper. I've got a 5 foot front blade, and am considering a 5 foot pto powered aeravator. This is definitely no slam on Dixie Chopper. They are good machines, but as I previously stated I simply prefer the outfront deck for our applications. Thanks, Lynn

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Just so you will know:<p>Dixie Chopper also has Snow Removal equipment too. They offer a 5' and a 6' blade and 2 different cabs. They used to have a snow blower too, I'm not sure if they still do or not. They have a sprayer unit that will spray 4,000 feet a minute with a load capacity 200,000 sq. ft. They also have an electric spreader for them. I have not used any of these accesories. I saw them in a brochure, but I just wanted to let you know about them. I have heard the plows work good, and are available in foot lift or electric lift. Hope this helps. :)<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

5. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I looked into the dixie cabs,and now only one is made.The solid stainless cab with a heater and a/c is now no longer made.They stopped making them becouse they where made by a guy in Alaska and it cost too much to ship them to most parts of north america.I also looked into snowblowers on the dixie and unless you own one of the small dixie's that use small decks and have a small wheel base you can't use a blower on them.The big models wheels would stick out way too far.I use one walker with only a 36'' snow blower and I knock off 50+ driveways a snow fall and keep in mind that I do some large driveways too.If you are going to use your mower for snow removal I would not use the dixie,they by what everyone says are great mowers but as far as snow goes if the only attachment is the blade then you will be in a bind if you get too much snow.The grass hopper would be a good choice for snow removal and I love my walker for snow removal.We do not have a cab for or walker so it gets cold but you just can't beat doing 50+ driveways a day.<p>Hope this helps!<p>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care

6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Hey Adam, Build one for it. I made one for my JD and we do 60 plus driveways which are very big driveways. It gets warm enough in it so you can take off gloves and hat and keep plenty warm. The total cost was around $250. I made a U channel steel frame for it and covered it with plywood and plexiglass. The windshield is the the stuff they make safety sheilds for presses. It can even be bent and shaped like steel. The cab also adds a lot of traction, 250 pds. approx. It can be seen on my equipment page if interested. Since I already had the JD set up for snow before getting the Choppers, I didn't purchase any of the DC snow removal equipment.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

JGT, I run 2 Grasshoper mowers, a 725 and 725G2. Both have 61&quot; decks. The 725G2 has a flip up deck that makes maintenance a breeze.<br>I also use a bagger unit for leaves(I won't bag grass)that works quite well. With a total of 900+ hours(both mowers) I've only lost about 1/4 day on one mower for a repair. Ask your dealer for a demo to try out. Bob

8. JGT

JGT LawnSite Member

To answer some of the questions about my use of the equipment, it'll be used for mowing and some snow removal. Here in south central KY we don't get a lot of snow usually, 2 to 4 inches normaly when we have snow. Occasionally we'll get a blizzard though. I like the front deck set up of the hopper, seems it would be great for reaching under low growing bushes and shrubs. For snow removal what do you guys suggest. a blade or a blower. I'll be doing mostly residential driveways. Thanks again. <p>----------<br>JGT<br>

9. docshank

docshank LawnSite Member

I run a Grasshopper 721D G2, and like it very much. Its been very dependable and comfortable to operate. I can't say anything bad about the Dixie Chopper though. From what I've seen and read about them, they are a very well built machine. You can visit Eric's website and see that they do a very good job mowing also. More than likely in the future I will add a mid-mount ZTR to run with my Grasshopper (either a Dixie Chopper or the new Grasshopper Mid-Mount), but I don't want to get rid of my 721D!!!<p>----------<br>Doc Shank<p>

10. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

JGT, I bought a used 48&quot; blade for my Grasshopper this year. I paid $200 for the blade. It worked quite well through the 10&quot; of snow we had about 3 weeks ago. My local dealer said a new 48&quot; blade was $650 and a 48&quot; snow blower was $1200. I've never talked to any one who has used the snow blower attachment, but if its like Grasshopper's other attachments, I'm sure it will do a great job. Bob