Need Opinions on Starting Business

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by metch32, Feb 28, 2009.

1. metch32

metch32 LawnSite Member

I am trying to start a small mowing busniess. I have a full time at the moment but want to have this as the full time job. I was wanting to know the fastest way to get customers. I'm looking to get around 10-20 clients so start off with to see how it goes. All I'm doing is mowing, edging, and blowing off any grass on concrete. I don't have the means to much more at the moment. Any suggestions would be great........thanks

2. Jersey Shore Landscaping

Jersey Shore Landscaping LawnSite Member

first i would start of by get ur truck registered commercial and get some insurance should give you an idea of how much u have to make to cover those expenses

3. LKNBigFish

LKNBigFish LawnSite Member
    from NC

i would keep your current job. its a bad time to start mowing.

4. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Since your just starting out don't go spending $10,000 on a new mower. Get a smaller walk-behind (ie 32-36), you could probably get a new one for about $3000-$3500 depending on the brand. Make sure you have a good trimmer and blower and you will be set with equipment. Make sure you get your insurance and licenses.

5. metch32

metch32 LawnSite Member

Already got the insurance lined up---by license I'm assuming you mean getting my truck registered as a commercial vehicle? Or something else---

6. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Definitely don't quit your day job. I would only do this part time to test the waters.

Depending on your area you may not have to be licensed to be legit. Here in Idaho every Joe Six Pack runs around with a mower for beer money. "Lowest prices in town for yard mowing ask for Pete". :hammerhead:

If your area is like mine mowing is the least profitable of all the services. Find out what the going rate is before you jump and go crazy and buy an expensive ZTR mower.

What ends up happening is the low baller $15 a cut types get super busy and get swamped with work and often find that even on a cash basis they are not making as much as they think they are and then they quit and go do something else. Then the next batch picks up where they left off. This drives down prices.

This just might be my last year for mowing.

7. metch32

metch32 LawnSite Member

You don't have to be licensed in my area--I'm not looking to to go crazy at first. Just buying basic equipment and bought a used walk behind toro from a buddy. Need to do this to offset loss of income due to wife losing job---I am keeping my main job because I can't afford not to. I was just wondering quickest way to pick up clients. Already have 5 lookinf to get 5 to 10 more. Sent out flyers but haven't heard anything back but its still early.

Thanks for all feedback---

8. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

After passing out flyers don't expect the phone to start ringing for jobs right away. You may get a couple calls at first but the rest usually take a while. Once the weather starts to warm up a little more and it is almost time to start mowing, then you will get more calls (at least this is what I have found out). When you passed out flyers, did you target certain areas or just passed them out anywhere and everywhere you could? I would suggest targetting areas that you would like to start mowing in. By doing this you can in a way 'choose' your customers and limit your distance between lawns.

9. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Insurance in the event you take out a $500.00 glass window/door, or worse someone gets hit with debris from your mower/trimmer.......

CYA, always.......check the mowing prices in your area......cheap will get you a bunch of yards, but they could give you a load of headaches as well......

Search button on this site helps as well, you'll need plenty of time to read all of it.....good luck

10. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

welcome. keep your full time job untill your up and running. there is alot of money to be had in this. if your only doing 20 lawns, id reccomend a nice used commercial zero turn rider for 2 reasons. one, their very fast and efficient which means you can make more $ per hour, and second, since your doing this on the side im sure you'll not only want to get them done quick but may need to depending on weather. oh yeah, you wont be as exaughsted as you would be using a walk behind. good luck, feel free to IM for more real advice too, not the " dont get into this keep your job man" comments