Need opinions on this truck....

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mowerbrad, Jan 29, 2010.

1. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I did forget to mention that I will be trying to get the price down to $14000ish. Its very tough to find a truck that has what I want, has the right engine (LLY) and for the right price. I've found a few, but this one would need the least amount of work and for the best price, so far.

2. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

The brand name doesn't make it impervious to wear. If neither the transmission nor the engine has been rebuilt/replaced in a 260k mile truck, there is a very high risk of something expensive breaking.

3. mowerbrad

Thats true, I shouldn't be judging how well the transmission will do just by the name on it.

But from doing the research on this truck I think the tranny will be fine. The truck was driven lots of highway miles on pretty easy terrain, which will have benefited both the engine and tranny for those miles. Allisons have a great reputation for building trannys, so I feel comfortable with it. And the truck did very minimal towing as it was used like a car rather than a truck.

4. P&C Lawn Care

P&C Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

How do you know this was used more as a car and not towing? Wasn't this at a car dealership? Is that what THEY told you? You know that car salesmen are not known for the truth don't you?

I have about the same identical truck (but a chevy 2 wheel) and granted it is a good truck, I would check the service records on this. Make sure the tranny fluid and filter have been changed out regulary. Also are there signs that this was used for towing or a fifth wheel hitch mounted in the truck? Someone who buys a new Duramax with slideout trailer mirrors probably planned or did pull a trailer with it. That price is way too inflated for this vehicle.

Also,See if this vehicle has had the upgraded fuel injector harness installed, there should be a service record for that, if not make them do it or you will be sitting on the side of the road one day.

5. mowerbrad

The seller is a private seller who knew the previous owner and his company. The first owner was the owner of the company and this was his work truck. This one also doesn't have the tow mirrors on it or any fifth wheel or gooseneck hitch on it.

I know the whole thing has been gone through, tranny serviced and fuel system cleaned. I know any recalls that have come out for the truck have been fixed.

But this is just one truck that I am considering, I am also looking at an '06 duramax.

6. pitrack

pitrack LawnSite Bronze Member

Price is WAY to high for that many miles. You can find way better deals out there.

Hell I would sell you my 07' 5.9 Cummins 4 door short box for mid $20's. Just ticked over 33k miles.

7. pitrack

So the guy is throwing in a 70hp tune, has it been installed on the truck? (Even if he says it hasn't, it probably has). No way in hell would I buy a truck with 260k on it that has had a tune on it of 70hp and even think that the tranny will last much longer, I don't care if it's an "Allison" or not. (which are hit and miss anyway) Just sucks because you don't know if these people abused the truck or not, or if they serviced it like they should have. But still 260k on a truck, that's getting up there man.

8. mowerbrad

Check, the tune would be a 45hp tune not 70hp...don't know where I got 70 from???? But I will probably stay away from the tune.

The way I am looking at this is, any truck I buy will be used and probably with at least 150k on it. I am taking a chance on any truck I buy that the previous owner(s) took care of it and maintained it. Now, the truck with 260k on it, has no leaks (tranny or engine), shifts good, idles good, and if very clean. I've seen plenty of trucks with 350k+ on them, heck, I just saw one with 700k+ on the original engine and tranny with no major repairs.

I could buy a truck with 90k miles but if the owner didn't take good care of it, I could be SOL in no time. Its a tough decision for me.

9. pitrack

Good points, sometimes you have to just give it a whirl and hope for the best.

Good luck with your choice.

10. LawnmastersMikejr

LawnmastersMikejr LawnSite Member

With that high of miles I would worry about having to replace injectors. Theyre expensive but other than that and maybe front end parts I'd say itd be ok.