Need opinions on this truck....

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mowerbrad, Jan 29, 2010.

1. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I could buy a 2002 chevy that is pretty loaded for $16000 with lower miles, but it wouldn't have the right duramax engine in it. The duramax I want puts me into the 2004.5-2006 range, which obviously means that the price will be a little higher, which is why a high miles truck is what I'm looking at. I have seen plenty of high miles trucks out there that haven't had any major problems and they had over 350k on them.

And the reason I am not putting money down on a new truck is because I don't plan to finance this truck. I have not had to finance anything yet and don't plan to yet either. And if I bought a new truck with the options I want, it would run me near $45,000, and I don't want to be making payments on a truck that expensive. And no, I would not buy a gas truck just to save the upfront cost, it has to be the diesel.

2. rungreen

rungreen LawnSite Member

I dont think your going to get anywhere near 20mpg. My dad has a 2008 3500 duramax dually and he 10-12 mpg and under 10 when towing. I have 2007 2500 duramax and I get 13-14. My last 6.0 gas wasnt much worse.

3. mowerbrad

You have to remember that the newer duramax's have more of the emissions "crap" on them. The duramax engine you have and the one your dad has are different generations than the one that I'm looking at. The 2004 truck I'm considering is an LLY generation. The engine that you have is either the LBZ or the LMM generation. And your dad's truck has the LMM generation. So the duramax I'm looking will be one or two generations prior to the ones you are referring to. And yes, that does make a difference that the duramax's are different genereations. Now if I really was willing to, I could get the LB7 (first generation duramax) and have to go through all the injector problems. But I don't want to have those problems which is why I am going for an LLY engine...still gets good fuel economy.

4. AndyTblc

AndyTblc LawnSite Fanatic

my neighbor has a 2002 2500HD with a D-Max and he gets 20mpg. My aunt and uncle have a 2006 3500 dually 2wd dmax and they get 21 going down the highway

5. AndyTblc

brad are you going to sell your truck?

6. AndyTblc

nevermind, stupid question, I just seen it for sale. I know somebody who is looking for an older 2500, but they need a truck bed, and they wouldn't want that kind

7. mowerbrad

My truck is going to be sold. I've gotta time the sale right so that by the time a buy a new truck I will have my current truck sold. That way I won't be left with no truck for a while or be stuck with two trucks when I only need one.

8. Lakewlc

Lakewlc LawnSite Bronze Member

where is it forsale?

9. AndyTblc

it is in the forsale section in the forums here, it's the section above the photo albums

10. mowerbrad

It is for sale on here, I think it's listed on here for $5500...its in the forsale section.

It's is also forsale on craigs list and I have a potential buyer who offered $6000. Nothing is finalized yet.