Need opinions on this truck....

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mowerbrad, Jan 29, 2010.

1. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

My 2005 Dodge Ram 3500 quad cab short bed 4x4 gets close to and sometimes over 20 mpgs on the highway depending how fast I drive and whether or not cruise control is on..

If you only plan on driving 12k or so a year, it would seem to make sense for a gas truck unless your pulling heavy weight 7500lbs plus 3-4 days a week. For the price difference between diesel and gas, you'll still be ahead despite to lower mpg.. Just my $0.02

2. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Here's the thing....

Do I really NEED a diesel? NO

Do I WANT a diesel again? YES

3. MCarter

MCarter LawnSite Member

Something you may consider is trying to locate a rebuilder (orange title here). I bought my 06 Chevy 2500 Duramax, LBZ, crew cab, 4x4, short bed for 18,500 about a year ago. It had 48,000 miles. I would have never considered buying a rebuilder if it were not dedicated as a work truck due to resale but it's a tow vehicle so works perfect for me. I will say to look them over closely. In my case I knew the person that bought it from the auction and did all the repair work (new bedside and left rear passenger door). I get about 18 mpg all stock. Sure you can get a little better with a light programmer. As i understand the LBZ was the last year before all the emissons bs and ran through mid 2007 (classic). Good luck.

4. mowerbrad

I have looked at rebuild titled trucks, but the do "scare" me a little. And since it will also be my personal truck, I want to make sure it is perfect. I have looked at a few, but I just can't bring myself to actually buy one.

5. mowerbrad

Well....high miles trucks are now out of the question. If it's a diesel it must have around 150k or less on it and I'm now also taking the Ford 7.3 diesel into consideration along with the duramax LLY generation. If I can find a loaded gas 1500 truck, I may even take that into consideration.

I've come to realize that I don't want to get into something that is going to be a money pit. And in realizing this, I figured the 260k truck is definately not the truck for me. I figure that if I spend $14k on a truck I don't want to spend another $6k on repairs over the next couple years. I need to be a little less picky in what I find and a little more open to what I find. But I also need to take a little more time to find what I want. I've only been searching for a little over a month, I've got plenty of time to find the right truck. I don't want to jump into something that I'm going to regret 6 months later.

6. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I would offer them 10k max.