1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need Pics Of placement of DOT numbers

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by chuck bow, Feb 10, 2006.

1. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

Need pics of the placement of where some of you have them placed on your trucks as Indiana is cracking down this year and alot of us have applied to state for the USDOT..... IN numbers
  2. TLC Lawn Care

TLC Lawn Care LawnSite Member

CVSA regulations only says it must be displayed on both sides of the truck and visible from a distance of 50 feet. DOT numbers do not apply to trailers while not in combination (being pulled)

JSMLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

Do you have to get a US DOT #? Can you just get a IN DOT #?
  4. Ours is on bottom of door, below company name.
  5. chuck bow

its called a ..... USDOT123456IN thats how it looks and is for intrastate ( in state) travel

JSMLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

I understand the idea of the USDOT #. However, I was talking to a guy the other day that told me instead of the USDOT #, since I was not traveling out of the state, I could use a MDDOT.

This might be totally wrong. It's just what I've been told

7. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

all you have to do to get a USDOT # is apply on the internet for it. It took me 5 minutes.
  8. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

True Cut Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

What exactly is the benefit of having a DOT #
  9. chuck bow

There is NO BENEFIT in mho , its a state law truecut with any truck trailer combo over 10,000 pounds rated( not what you haul but rated ) example a duall axle trailer with 3500 pound axles ( what comes standard on dual axle i think ) and being pulled with a half ton truck ( gvwr 6800) triggers the rules as you are now rated at 13800 .ITS A STATE LAW that has been in effect since i think jan of 2003 BUT is now being enforced around here at least .
  10. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

Can the police enforce it, or only the DOT vans?

And is that law for the whole country, or seperate states? Mainly because in the past three years, ive only seen about 2 trucks with dot #'s on them.