Need pond winterizing advice

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by JDiepstra, Aug 30, 2011.

1. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

Hahahah ok thanks for the info guys. I actually have gotten a slightly bigger pond so I think for this winter what I am going to do is put the bigger pond in the garage for the winter and transfer contents of the pond into it. I suppose I do have a spot in the basement I could put it as well but those fish are kinda dirty and smelly. Seems silly but oh well. I really don't have enough space in my landscaping to go to a much bigger pond that wouldn't freeze solid.

2. tadpole

tadpole LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are having an odor/"dirty" problem, that is an indication that you do not have sufficient bio-conversion and/or flow rate. Properly processed pond water should have only a slight odor, if any.

Transferring everything indoors is your wisest move and will be more convenient if it needs to be monitored.

3. CJF

CJF LawnSite Member

Go with option two. if you don't have a crappy aquarium scour the yard sales
    they are loaded with them.

Joann

4. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the responses everyone. I "installed" a bigger pond (approx 200 gal) outside and im going to put the fish in the smaller (approx 125 gal) one in the garage for winter. I can pump the water from one to the other. My pump is something like 360 gph.

5. tadpole

tadpole LawnSite Bronze Member

Good idea using the same Pond water. Will greatly reduce the incidence of stress on the fish due to moving them.