Need pre-emerge assistance!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by corey4671, Mar 1, 2008.

1. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

Hey guys. My new neighbor came over today and was asking me what he could apply to control grass in his driveway. He has an area that is probably 4000 SQ FT of nothng but gravel. I told him he could spray it about once a month through the growing season with any glyphosphorous based product but this early in the season he would probably be best to find some sort of pre-emerge. I told him I was ignorant when it comes to this stuff but that I knew EXACTLY where to go to get the answer! So help me out guys. wha do you recommend pre-emerge wise to control grass in this gravel area. If need be, I'll try to get a photo in a day or two..

2. PSUTURFGEEK

PSUTURFGEEK LawnSite Senior Member

I have always used Sahara, the rate is anywhere from 7-19# acre and it really depends on how long you want the control to last, just make sure you mix it with a form of roundup. Also make sure you do the app 3-4 days b4 any rain or it will run and kill grass on either side of the driveway.

3. sicnj

sicnj LawnSite Senior Member

you can also put down preen (garden center home depot) or even better snap shot @ lesco (expensive) that will prevent any weeds growing from seed. if there is vegatation there already use the round up too. sahara works well but expensive.

4. ACA L&L

ACA L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

or u could put down a ground sterilizer and not worry about it for awhile.

5. corey4671

don't even know where the closest lesco dealer is. I had thought about preen. thanks guys keep it coming. ALSO..let me just reinforce how ignorant I am about herbicides..does he need to spray the round up for the existing vegetation and then the pre-m or can he mix them in the same sprayer?

6. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

For a home owner, Ortho Ground Clear is easy to find, easy to buy, and easy to apply. One app should do it for the year. Just caution him to read the label. This stuff can leach towards his lawn. He might want to use it with a two foot border, and just hit that border with RoundUp as needed. This stuff at retail can be expensive. He could probably have it done cheaper by a certified applicator using the commercial stuff instead of the consumer stuff. He would not have to buy a sprayer, etc.

Using stuff like this ... well, how many home owners understand drift? These kinds of herbicides have to be applied carefully. He lives next door? make sure he doesn't spray when there is any wind at all.... if you like your ornamentals.

7. maintenanceguy

maintenanceguy LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Roundup or some other glyphosate to kill what's growing now and a pre-emergent to prevent seeds from growing. They can be tank mixed and sprayed at one time.

Good pre-emergents can be expensive and keep in mind, the cheap stuff always requires more chemical to be added to the mix so they end up not being so cheap.

Three that I've used: Surflan, Sahara, Primitol. All three work well if you follow directions. Use the highest label rate for season long control.

8. corey4671

Thanks guys!! I knew I could count on my lawnsite brethren to help out...and not one derogatory condescending reply yet!!:clapping: