Need Pricing for labor on installing Sod.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Leonel916, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Leonel916

Leonel916 LawnSite Member

I need to know a pricing for installing a 1,000 sf of sod. I wanna know how much would it cost for labor for Tilling and placing. Thinking of a 3 man job for 2 days.

2. LoweJ82

LoweJ82 LawnSite Senior Member

If you till to deep you will end up with an un even yard after it settles.

1000sq ft should be able to be done with 2 guys in around 8 hours working at a steady pace, (tearing old lawn out, prep work & installing new sod) $4.25-$5.00 a yard. (plus sod cost)

Im thinking 1000 sq ft is just a little over a full pallet, 111 yards.

Is this your first sod job?

3. Leonel916

Leonel916 LawnSite Member

yes it is, But a buddy of mine knows what he is doing. The customer is buying the sod. We just dont know how much to charge for labor.

4. GreenLight

GreenLight LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, where are you guys getting sod pallets near 1000 square feet? I generally can get Bermuda at about 500 sq. feet a pallet and Zoysia around 450 sq.ft a pallet.

5. LoweJ82

my mistake.... pallet of 3way kbg 500 sq ft.

6. memphis.landscape

memphis.landscape LawnSite Member

me and one two guys have easily done 15 pallets of sod in one day. prep included. do yourself a favor and get a sod cutter instead of a tiller. Tilling it takes way more time. I usually charge $215 per pallet for labor. includes prep and laying it.

7. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Without knowing the location and its challenges I would charge 300-400 per pallet, price doesn't include take-away nor does it include an extensive amount of grading. By the way why are you tilling the soil, is it compacted?

8. LoweJ82

for sure, use it to remove old lawn, then you can run it again to loosen up soil a bit as well. Just dont take the sod out to thick, contact the sod grower and see what there gonna be cutting new sod at