Need Pricing Help

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Advanced-Lawncare, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Advanced-Lawncare

Advanced-Lawncare LawnSite Member
    from CT

I just recently got elected to bid on a job where 23 Rotor Sprinkler heads need to be replaced with new ones. I was wondering how much would you charge them to replace each rotor with a new one basically i am looking for a price that would included labor and matierals. Also what is the going rate labor for installation of the plumbing end of the irrigation systems.

2. Green Sweep

Green Sweep LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Pittsburgh, PA

$750.85.

That would be my price including 2 hours of labor & of course a pretty large mark up on the rotors. I'm sure that I could swap out & adjust 23 rotors in far less time than 2 hours, but you have to allow for those unknown problems. This price is a Pittsburgh price, I'm sure your market is different.

Rob

3. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Different pricing for sure.

I'm going to allow 4 hrs for labor just because. and mark the heads up.

Total price will be $935.85

4. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

Green sweep- you must be a machine to replaced 23 rotors in 2 hours. What is that like 5.5 minutes per head?

Advanced lawncare- what is your bid?

which rotor heads are required?

23 pgp's or rainbird 5000's are gonna run just over 200. Have you dug up an existing head to see if new ones will screw right on -OR- will some sort of adaptors be required? I'd figure a cost of $250 in parts to be on the safe side.

I'd also figure at least 6 hours to install (4 heads per hour), but would round up this job to a full 8 hour day for one guy.

I'd bid at least $250 plus (8 hours x $50/manhour) = $650.00, but I'd mark up the heads a wee bit and bid in the neighborhood of 750 to 900 depending on how bad I want the job.

5. $60.00 service call
    $35.00 x 23 = $805
    Use a PGP or I-20 ultra
    I just charge by the head x $35.00
    $865.00

6. Green Sweep

Green Sweep LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Pittsburgh, PA

Actually, I can change a rotor out in a minute or less. I take my spade & dig a small circle around the head - exposing the top 1/3 of the head. I then grab the head and move it in a circular motion to create a larger hole around it. I unthread the rotor off of the 3/4" barbed elbow, and thread the new rotor on. Use my cutters to pack the soil in around the head, put the grass back, stomp on it & bingo. On a job like this, I would set the left margin for each head while changing, and then set the right margins while running through the zones. I'd carry 2 buckets with me - 1 filled with 5004's with proper nozzles, and the other for the old rotors, and my spade, and Rain Bird screwdriver.

Rob

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If you're getting paid by the hour, you don't have to pop a blood vessel being a speed demon. Besides, all the original heads are Minipaws, with side-entry connections. :p

8. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Apparently all you have out there is pristine sand or something? Ever changed a head that was installed 10 years ago when the maple planted next to it was young?

How about that !&*@#!! one thats butted up against a concrete sidewalk.

In real soil, a hard working guy would be lucky to nail 6 heads out in a hour (installed, nozzled and adjusted).

9. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Or ginko biloba. :)

Golden West D-12 Main Line Leak IV-01.jpg

10. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

You are not figuring in the "total time" for each head. By that I mean how long did it take you to install the proper nozzle, and then adjust the arc and radius of each head, and then if there is a needed riser extender that takes a little more time to take care of that. And that nipple that gets cross-threaded while trying to put on the new head.

I would allow at least 10 minutes per head. That will also give you time to check the system with the controller and make any fine tuning adjustments. Too many variables to tie yourself to that close a time table.