Need Professional Advice

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RPM1, Nov 29, 2006.

1. RPM1

RPM1 LawnSite Member

Customer That I Do Mowing For Has Ask Me If I Would Do Fertilizing Of There Lawns They Own 2 Apt. Complex , My Question Is Whats Involved In This Type Of Lawn Maint. What Do I Need To Do This, I Think It May Be Anoyher Way To Make Some More Money But Not Sure, Thank You

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

you would be better subbing it out to a licensed applicator in your area. after you pay insurance and licensing there wouldn't be much if any profit unless you are planning on doing a lot of this type of work. try and find a small company that is in the chemical part of the business and not mowing, then refer each other to your clients. you both win!

3. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

you dont need license and insurance to apply fertilizer.

4. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

do you really think they will want fertilizer only?

5. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

If you send them a written quote, don't capitalize every word.....

6. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

In Texas you can do whatever you want as long as you just throw a mower in your truck.

7. Otownlost

Otownlost LawnSite Member

RPM1,
    Withou knowing the grass type, soil type, soil pH, condition of the turf at present, insect and disease issues currently affecting the turf, and what expectations your client has, are all questions that need to be answered. What is legal should not be the issue, but what are you educated in to make a proper application. You can certaainly purchase a fertilizer, read the label, and throw it down. However, you are running the risk of destroying the reputation and relationship you are building if it goes wrong. Take the time to recieve proper training to learn to diagnose what the turf needs. This makes you a professional and responsible steward of the enviorment.
    This is not an attitude to keep this an exclusive club, but, to protect the professional image and integrity of the industry and the purity of the enviorment.

8. RPM1

RPM1 LawnSite Member

otownlost, i guess what i am asking is where do i get the information on what i need to know to do this ? it's not a money issue with me if i need to get equipment than i will do that! just looking for some firendly advice on what i need to do to do a professional job, thanks

9. JoeinJasper

JoeinJasper LawnSite Member

Start with your local cooperative extention (county extention) office.

10. RPM1

RPM1 LawnSite Member

what is a cooperative extension office i have never heard of that could it be called something else? not trying to sound totally stupid sorry