1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need professional help with shade PROBLEMS!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by hobbsd, Sep 21, 2006.

1. hobbsd

hobbsd LawnSite Senior Member
    from west wi

I have many customers with very shady lawns, (they live in the woods). I know that there are some fundemental problems with growing grass in the shade (such as photosynthesis), but I have seen some of my competetors keep very nice looking grass in shady areas. What, if any, is the secret to keeping grass happy in the shade? Is there a specific nutrient that can be added to compensate?

I know some of you guys have been dealing with applicating for 30+ years, so someone must have an answer!

Thank you,

2. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

i had the same problem. what i done was to cut the fert in half. and aerate and seed each spring.
    cant grow grass in the forest.
  3. TforTexas

TforTexas LawnSite Senior Member

Try seeding with creeping red fescues and cut way back on the fert. Creeping red does not like a pound of N per app, stick to 1/2 lb of N,
    couple times in spring and couple times in the fall, none in the summer.
    Creeping red may fade out in an extremely hot summer but you should be allright up in WI. Keep it aerated, the trees cause alot of compaction problems.
  4. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

Look up Poa Supina an the web. I live in Wisconsin and spoke to the professor who has done studies on this grass. It was discovered in Germany and grows in total shade. It requires a little more nitrogen than the other lawns and doesn't tolerate drought as well as other grasses but is great in shade.

Mike Immel
    Mike's Total Lawn care