Need Professional Help

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by nurthys, Jun 29, 2007.

1. nurthys

nurthys LawnSite Member

No pun intended for the title.:hammerhead:
    I am a homeowner and I would like some advice regarding some quotes that I received for a sprinkler system. First of all I am not asking about prices just opinions on the proposed systems. All three are Hunter systems, be nice guys for those of you that do not like Hunter.
    System 1
    8 Zones
    4 I-20 Rotors 4”
    4 Pro spay pop ups 4”
    Pro-C controller
    1 PVB
    1” PVC for main line and 1” poly for laterals
    System 2
    7 Zones
    4 I-20 Rotors 4”
    3 SRS pop up 4”
    Pro-C controller
    1 PVB
    System 3
    9 Zones
    5 PGP Rotors 6”
    4 SRS pop up 6”
    Pro-C controller
    1 PVB
    Why use Poly? I am ignorant when it comes to poly.
    Wireless rain click included
    All 3 companies are with a few hundred dollars so the price is not an issue, my questions are as follows.
    Without seeing a layout of my lawn why should I choose one system over the other? All companies have been in business for at least 10 years, warranties are about the same, all three are using SRV and or PGV valves. Do I really need the ability to shut off one of the rotors as I can with the I-20? If I need a check valve it can be installed in the PGP rotors. Also one of the companies talked about doing a “sump pump extension drain. I understand the concept but I cannot find any pictures of the finished product. Thanks in advance for the opinions and if you need more info let me know.
    All companies are using

2. Go with the I-20's and Pro spray pop ups 4” and stay away from the SRV valves. I-20's have a stronger spring than a PGP and SRS pops are a lower quality than the Pro sprays...Same with the SRV valves they are lower quality than the PVG.

3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Agree... however, PGPs could be substituted for I-20s depending on the exact area configuration. I'd also like to know what the sprays will cover and whether MP-Rotators would work instead. Too many variables without seeing a scaled plot plan, slope requirements, etc. and planting material listing.

4. nurthys

nurthys LawnSite Member

The front is 85 feet wide by 40 feet in length. I have a drive way and sidewalks that run across the front. I have one tree in the center of my front yard, which is pretty flat. The sides are 15 feet wide, 25 feet in length and the back is 54feet in length by 50 feet wide. I have a 10 degree grade away from the house in the back and one tree in the back yard. The landscaping in the front is minimal as this is a new construction home that was built on farm land. The 500.00 for landscaping allowance was burned up on the two trees and a few shrubs. I would prefer to have the I-20's but one installed said that the only differnece was the check valve, the larger spring and the ability to shut down each head should I need it. By the way I am not one of the homeowners that wants the cheapest system and I am sure that you all have run across them at least once or twice. I want the best that I can afford and a quality product.

5. PurpHaze

Both the I-20 and PGP are quality sprinklers in my book. If money is no issue and depending on soil type you might ask your bidders about using the I-20s with stainless steel risers. We use nothing but SS riser sprinklers (school district situation) where available and they tend to hold up under brutal soil conditions better than sprinklers with plastic risers. And, depending on other variables such as turf type and anticipated mowing height, you might want to consider the 6" version instead of 4". There's a LOT of different ways to attack a system even within a given manufacturer model.

6. nurthys

nurthys LawnSite Member

I have looked at the SS risers for the I-20 but I did not see the need. Here in the mid-west, we have the best clay soil around. Right now any of the three systems will be hard for me to sell to the wife as we have received over 5" of rain in the last 3 days. I try to listen to the "experts" when it comes to the height of my lawn so I cut it at 3". I was concerned when I saw the other bids quoting 4", that is why I requested the one company to quote 6" heads. I have Bluegrass for the turf which is very thirsty.

7. PurpHaze

It sounds like you've done your homework and know what the system will entail. But remind your wife that it will pay for itself in time saved when there is no rain and you have to end up dragging hoses all over the place. :)

8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Optimal cutting height for blue grass is 2". So in the summer I would mow at 2.5" and move that up to 3" if it gets blinding hot. Given that, 4" rotors are fine.

I agree with Purp on the I20 and PGP. The I20 has some nice features, but you pay a premium for them, and unless your dealing with alot of sand, SS risers are a luxury. I don't see why PGP's would not work here.

Personally I prefer the ICC (my controller of choice) over the Pro-C.

9. nurthys

nurthys LawnSite Member

Here is some additional info that may/may not matter. PSI is 65 and GPM is 10. Only one of the listed companies will come of the water line inside the home instead of just past the meter. Pro's or Con's please, the other two will tap into the water line just past the meter run the pipe next to the house where the PVB will be installed.
    When I compared the heads listed at the begining it was similar to comparing a Chevy to a Cadillac. Very similar but just enough difference to make me wonder. One contractor told me that if I went to the I-20 over the PGP rotors the cost would be an addtional 400.00. Obviously this price would include an additional mark up but why not try and upsell? Too many cheap homeonwers? Or at least list it as an option.

10. Upselling is good. You want I-20s with stainless steel, 6" heads with pressure compensating and ck valves. All heads on sch 40 swing joints. Brass nozzles, brass valves with pressure regulators. ET based clock being run by National Weather Service weather stations along with an on site rain gage. Sch 40 pipe. Copper risers where nescessary. Moisture meter readings to determine proper zone run times. All valves in 10" boxes with gravel underneath. 14 gage wiring.All employees of the installing company being provided health insurance and workers comp by the owners. I'll think of some more stuff and post.