1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

need pump help asap

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by vaacutabove, Nov 29, 2012.

1. vaacutabove

vaacutabove LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a d30 with milky looking the clear oil fill. Pulled the diaphragms and they are good. Less than a year old. It has been keep out side has been chilly but not to bad. Any ideas or put it back together and fill it w oil and run it. Is there a reason why it would would mix with water.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. TurfWerks

TurfWerks LawnSite Senior Member

Since you have it appart replace the diaphrams and the rubber one in the dome. You have a hole somewhere. Make sure to clean out all old oil and fill with clean new..
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. vaacutabove

Do i have to put pressure on the dome when i put it back
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. TurfWerks

Yes you have to apply pressure to the dome. Just takes an aircomprssor.. doesn't require a lot if air though..
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. vaacutabove

How much i thought it was like a few psi like a hand pump
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. TurfWerks

I don't remember off hand seems like between 15 and 20.. could be wrong though...
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I agree to replace the diaphragms. Water in oil is the usual cause of the milky look. Replace the diaphragms as they may have tiny cracks that are not really visible. You might as well have new diaphragms with fresh clean oil, and have a clean start for next year.
    I never bothered to replace the top rubber in the dome.
    Don't let pump freeze--costly to replace. Cover it with your electric blanket--or whatever you have.

8. TurfWerks

I agree cover it up good in the cold.. I usually clean my pumps and run rv antifreeze in them..
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. TurfWerks

While I'm storing them that is..
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. WestGaPineStraw

WestGaPineStraw LawnSite Senior Member

I have one, you either have a pin hole in your diaphragm or it was frozen from the cold and pulled the diaphragm out of seat. Milky oil is water in the oil.

The pulsating dampner, the dome piece, should have 20% psi of your spraying pressure.
    Posted via Mobile Device