Need purchasing help..ZTR

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Paul H., Jun 6, 2005.

1. Paul H.

Paul H. LawnSite Member

Hey guys just found this site and its EXACTLY the type of info I need. Heres whats going on. We need a new ZTR for our farm and house (2 seperate places). We currently have a Cub Cadet 3660 60" 25HP Kohler. The farm has some pretty steep hills and the Cub isnt taking them very well. The mower only has 315 hours and is maintainted very very well. We also have a Cub Cabet 3235 54" 23HP Kohler with 135 hours..see a pattern :D . I called my local CC dealer to see what we could get with a little more power and speed. Gas is not a concern. Here is what he had to offer

Kubota ZD-21 61" with upgraded tires. Not ag or turf, but in between $11,650
    Great Dane with 25hp Kaw 61"
    $8599

He is also going to call me and let me know what they will give us on trade in. I know its going to be low, but I want a number to start with if I sell them locally.

Neither one of those sounded good. I dont want my parents to pay that much neither sounded like what I was looking for.

So I called around to find a Scag dealer. Got a price on an 04 with 27hp, 61" for $8299. Then he told me about the one with the 29hp EFI Kaw. That sounded more what we were looking for. It has more power, faster and pretty much bad a$$. He quoted me $9550. Only problem is his location. Its over 40-45 miles away. When we needed service on the cub (read Step dad flipping and pulling out with Case tractor i.e. damage) its half that distance. Im going to look for a closer dealer in Louisville. What are your alls opinions? We want a mower that is dependable, easy to maintain yourself, good power and a good looking cut. Am I going in the right direction? Thanks guys.

Paul

2. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

Great Dane= NO
    Kubota= To pricey for what it is!
    Scag= Decent price powerfull decent cut and a really good machine and easy up keep
    Out of these 3 i would say scag but i would also consider trying to find a toro dealer close by or a exmark dealer.
    But if all you have is Kubota Scag and Great dane close by defintally go with the scag even if the drive is a *****.

3. Paul H.

Paul H. LawnSite Member

Well I can find any dealer. Louisville is a 5 minute drive. So with that said if you were looking for mower that described what I needed/wanted what would you suggest?

Paul

4. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

How much turf are we talking? How much of it is steep?

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

That's too much on both the Kubota and the Great Dane.

6. Paul H.

Paul H. LawnSite Member

My yard is 2 acres. Farm is about 6 acres. Pitch on hill is about 35 degrees.
    Again, keep the suggestions coming. Im open to anything

Paul

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Ummmm.... Ummmm....
    Listen, I'm gonna tell you the straight up of it. If your hills really are 35 degrees, as in you know your stuff there, or you have put a slope meter on them... Then the straight up of it is you are going to have to take several demo mowers home with you.

You are going to have to put in some seat time and work yourself gradually into the slopes, building experience.... And be careful because you are going to slip and take some scary rides before you find a ZTR that will stick that degree of slope in any direction you try to mow it. I've only ever been on one ZTR that would handle that kind of stuff and you couldn't pay me enough to devulge that information. Even still, that ZTR nor any would reliably perform on stuff that steep.

You gotta understand in very simple terms that ZTR's in all basic reality handle like shoppiing carts. Ever try to push one loaded down good across a sloped lot? There is a lot of gravity "swing leverage" working against those rear tires, which are both your traction and your steering control. At a certain point, they either start to want to crab-walk down the hill as you move forward, or the leverage over powers the traction and the front turns downhill. You are out of control.... Since those front castor tires pivot freely, they offer no aid in controling the direction of travel.

Please be real careful with your demos and good luck....

PS- look at the low and wide stuff...
    Hustler, Country Clipper, Ferris, Grasshopper, Scag/Great Dane, ect.

8. Pumper

Pumper LawnSite Member

Do you know any of the Huncilmans? They build the Gizmow mower in New Albany. It is kind of a unique design. For someone not use to a ZTR, this will probably be easier to learn to drive. It should also hold on the hills better going accross the face of the slope. The components are all the same grade as the big name guys. The only thing I can't speak for is the deck and cut.

9. BALDEAGLE

BALDEAGLE LawnSite Member

demo a super Z or ATZ.

10. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

if they are seriously 35 degrees ( I have a few like that that we just bushhog way in the back) then I would look into the hustler ATZ

http://www.hustlerturfequipment.com/products/superatz.html

The ATZ is built for slopes. That full cage looks alot safer than an ROPS but its probably going to hang on trees. Why dont you just put a finish mower on the tractor for the farm??? If your just looking for a ZTR I would check out toro. I have demoed most the others and love my new toro to death.