Need PVB parts.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jcom, Apr 14, 2006.

1. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

Our local plumbing houses do not carry parts for the Watts PVB. Only a repair kit. We are seeing a lot of frozen shut offs on these units. We need the 1" shut off that has the test **** on it and our suppliers told us they cannot get them.

Any help as to where we might be able to find them would be appreciated.

John:usflag:

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If they're ones you installed, it comes down to someone not turning the handles to a 45 degree position for winterizing. You need a 'tapped' ball valve, like a Febco 622FT, which should accept a 1/8 inch testcock

3. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks "Boots",

These are not my installs but you bring up a question in my mind. Why would you need to put the handle at the "half open" position for winterizing? I winterize a lot of systems and blow out through the PVB and I have them either full open or full closed depending on the directi:confused: :confused: on I am pushing the water. Either to the valves/heads or back to the source/drain.

I appreciate all the info. Where do I find the Febco 622FT? My suppliers have no idea what it is?

Later and have a great Easter!

John

4. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

5. Wet_Boots

Ball valves have a small space between the ball and the body of the valve. Water freezing in this space can crack the valve body. Any backflow preventer's instructions will include directions for turning the valve handles so as to allow water to be cleared from this space.

Febco is probably not the manufacturer of the 622FT, so it might be available from other sources. I kind of wish Watts' design included testcocks on the PVB itself. It seems kind of cheesy to have them on the ball valves.

6. I have explained the 45 degree angle postion of those friggin valves so many times this week I'm dreaming about it...literally.

The other thing folks forget to do is open the testc.ocks....

7. Wet_Boots

Some instructions repeat the 45 degree advice for the testcocks, but I've not seen that to be a problem.

8. Wet_Boots

Another (imported) tapped ball valve is a Wilkins 850T ~ I see one online source that will sell you one for 18 bucks. Looks a lot cheaper to just turn the handles when winterizing.

9. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Despite all the flak about backflow codes getting worse, around here things are moving backward. 8-10 years ago, PVB's were common with RPZ's when necessary. Now, most allow DC's. If your in a winterization climate and PVB code, your going to see cracked ball valves for all the reasons mentioned. I always bought a new PVB when I needed a ported valve. The price for an "A" valve or Ported PVB valve was close to the cost of a new PVB. Save the other parts for somewhere else and you are way ahead. I've used Watts PVB shut-off valves as replacement "A" valves for RPZ's and DC's too. Febco and Wilkins aren't so nice. They like the test.cocks on the PVB body like boots mentions. The one advantage to the Watts PVB having ported test.cocks is it gives me a cheap way of buying "A" valves for RPZ's too. For those of you doing a lot of backflow repair work, I strongly urge you to compare YOUR cost of the repair parts to buying a complete device. Here, I get a .6 or better multiplier on whole backflow devices, but I often find myself at .75 or higher on parts. Sometimes, the parts multiplier is as high as .9 This makes the extra parts in an RPZ free and you can change cage and all on the check valves. Spare test.cocks and ball valves are always welcome on my truck if I didn't have to pay for them.

10. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

This is right in line with the "change the whole thing" theory instead of parting it to death mentioned in another thread. Difference is that you may need only one part off the product and then get to hold onto the rest of it as backup parts. :)