Need quick confirmation

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by roscioli, Jan 12, 2003.

1. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry to use the forum as a quick confirmation of my stupidity, but I am currently operating in "Stupid Mode" which happens often during the winter. Are my numbers right here, I feel like I am missing something!
    (After seeing etwman's trailer) I am thinking about buying an enclosed trailer to haul mainly my mowing equipment, but occasionally a sub-compact tractor that I am yet to own. Of course I plan on waiting until i find the right tractor before I go and do all this, but I am planning it out now. I think that I can get a new or almost new 18-20' enclosed for $4000. This will be instead of purchasing a new equipment trailer for $1800 (i dont own one now). I will also be selling my 6X12, and with its rack's and practically brand new condition, I feel I can reasonably get $1500. (trailer prices here are way more than the rest of the country, so please dont balk at that figure, i feel it IS realistic).
    So, heres my equation
    4000 enclosed trailer
    -1800 would be cost of equip trailer
    -1500 selling price of 6X12
    $700 more to buy the enclosed than buying an equip and keeping my current trailer. Not to mention registration fees, convenience, and storage of 2 trailers that I will be avoiding. Am I missing something? this seems too simple! Thanks guys.

2. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

If I'm following what you are saying, I think you are off.

Cost of enclosed 4,000

Cost of other 1,800

Additional cost of enclosed, $2,200

If you are selling the current trailer regardless of what you do, you will still have that money no matter which new trailer you get, so that shouldn' t enter in to the equation.

That is just money toward the cost of either new trailer.

Another viewpoint, additonal cost of enclosed after selling old trailer, 2,500.

Cost of open, 300.

3. etwman

etwman LawnSite Bronze Member

Mike a couple things that may help (just consider)

1. You can probably get a 20' for $4,000. However, this may only be a 7,000 lb GVW. I would strongly reccommend 10,000 GVW. With enclosed trailers you swallow up alot of "extra weight" My trailer empty (skinned) weighs 2,400 lbs. Now, that leaves me with only 7500 lbs to put in it. With a 7,000 GVW you'll be up against it real quick, especially with a tractor inside. Just a thought.

2. If your going to put a compact in it, go 102" wide. Standard is 96" We went 96" and I regret it. 102 gives you more room between fender wells inside.

3. Extended tongue if there is ever a chance that you'll pull it with a dump body.

4. Are you putting any power in it. We did a basic package which gave us a 110v shoreline hookup on the outside that powers four florescent lights inside and two outlets.

5. Consider roof vents, flow through vents, fuel door,"D-rings" in the floor? etc.

Your numbers may not be too far off, but I hate surprises. Our trailer started out at 4999, and ended up at 6800 with extras, but well worth it. Make sure you spec it out right, you'll be a lot happier in the long run.

etwman.

PS - See what they want for shipping! I ran out to Indiana and brought ours back and saved $750.00. You can save some $$ there too and write the whole trip off.

4. roscioli

Thanks guys... Lawnsite is great for quick info, less than 30 minutes and I have two great responses! Bruces- I would only be selling the open trailer if I buy an enclosed trailer. Its too small anyway, I have been putting the 36 on sideways for a year and am getting pretty sick of it... in fact, 1/2 the time I dont even carry it anymore. ETW- How long is your trailer? 20' is a heck of a lot to pull around my kind of streets, I am pretty nervous about that. If it were just for installs (like I would use an equip only traler) i woulnd't mind so much, but for maintenance use, it makes me nervous. Extended tongue- Yes, hopefully by next year it will be pulled by a dump. I don't think I can afford all the extras up front, I know the fuel doors will save time and money in the long run, but right now its money that I dont have. Perhaps financing a little more would be better off.

5. etwman

etwman LawnSite Bronze Member

Ours is 28'. We started out thinking a 22' and changed it twice. Right now we are out of room. I wouldn't worry about the length too much, you'll get the hang of it real quick. Actually longer trailers are a little easier to back up. If memory serves me correct it was only $100 to add 2 feet to the length. Well worth it!

etwman.

6. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

I need to move where you all are! An8x20 enclosed down here is $6,200. If you can get a new 20 ft. for $4,000, go today!

7. roscioli

My price was inaccurate... $6000 is more like it for new or nearly new... 4000 would be fairly used.. Sorry.