1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need quick help on soil prep for tall fescue...

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by ShawnDH, Sep 19, 2005.

1. ShawnDH

ShawnDH LawnSite Member

I'm behind schedule on my soil prep. Got my soil test back and the PH is too low (5.4) Needs to be at least 6.0 to 6.5. I'm trying to put the lime down now and give it about 5 weeks to before I reseed but I've also discovered a grub problem (found a bunch of them under layer of sod). Can I put down lime and Grub Stop at the same time? And do you think 5 wks is enough time to change pH levels for seeding? I have to plant this stuff no later than 1st week of November from what I understand in Atlanta, GA. (5 wks b4 1st frost) At the time of seeding, I want to aerate and then reseed.

Also, the County Extension recommends 25lbs of 5-10-15 per 1000sq ft in the top 4 to 6 inches of soil prior to seeding. How can I do that without tilling up the old grass. And can this be put down the same time as the lime too?
  2. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Shawn,you're killing yourself over this fescue.
    First,lime takes time to change the pH level.Up to 4 months,but go ahead and apply.It's not a one time thing anyway.During the growing season,your soil pH will change and need amendments.
    Second,apply Merit for the grubs.It's costly,but it is a quick kill.
    Yes,you can apply both at the same time.
    As for overseeding,you need to do it this month.By November,we'll be seeing the first frost.Septemeber is the month for overseeding in our areas.
    Get your fertilizer into the soil by aerating(just as your planning to do anyway).Just broadcast it over the area after aerating.
    Last,take a deep breath.Once you get the hang of taking care of your fescue,you'll have a beautiful lawn.Overseeding will need to be done every September,as tall fescue this far south gets quite stressed during the summer.
  3. ShawnDH

ShawnDH LawnSite Member

Should I just work on the soil over the fall and plant a warm season grass in the spring? I'm not really crazy about this fescue anyway. :realmad: I have no problems with blasting it with Round-up and starting with a whole new grass all together if I'll get better results. :D
  4. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

It's up to you.If you don't mind dormant grass in the winter,by all means go with a warm season variety.
    Centipede is a low growing,dense warm season grass.Very little Nitrogen requirement.Good shade tolerance.Light green appearance.
    Zoysia-Low growing,dense,medium Nitrogen requirement.Good shade tolerance.
    Bermuda-High Nitrogen requirement,dense growth,moderate to high growth,Poor shade tolerance.
    All of these are drought tolerant,but are brown(dormant) during the winter.