need racks or something else?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by timmac, Apr 15, 2008.

1. timmac

timmac LawnSite Senior Member

I have a cover on my truck bed and I keep my trimmers and bp blower in it instead of on my trailer. At times they slide around even after I strap them in. Does anyone know of any type of racks that you can put in the bed of your truck to hold trimmers and blowers? thanks

2. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Build some with 2x2's

3. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

what kind of truck do you have? Some beds and bed liners have notches on either side. A simple 2x6 cut to fit should work well, IF yours has the notches in the liner/bed.

4. timmac

dodge ram 05 4x4. Explain how the 2x6 will work.

5. ALC-GregH

from PA

your truck should have them. They are slots on the inside of the bed on the left and right sides. You measure from one side to the other, cut the board and then drop it in the slots. It should be about a 1-2 foot deep pocket to set stuff in to stop it from sliding front to back. Go out and have a look I'm almost positive the Dodge trucks have them.

Just look for something that would fit a 2xanything. :)

6. timmac

2x6 or something smaller? they have the slots. with a 2x6 my trimmer will not fit over it. and it will not fit from side to side.

7. ALC-GregH

from PA

I didn't think about that. The trimmer is to long to sit sideways in the bed. Maybe if it has 2 places you can put boards across, one in the front and one in the back, use the 2 boards side to side in the bed and then tie another board front to back and make a pocket for the trimmer. Yeah, thats it. It would work perfect and can be removed at any time.

8. ALC-GregH

from PA

Another very easy way would be to just use 2 boards preferable 2x6's and cut notches in each board parallel front to back. You should be able just sit the trimmer in the notch and be done.

Hope these ideas can help you out. Good luck....

9. timmac

I was thinking about the notches about the same time i read it. notches is the way to go. thanks

10. ALC-GregH

from PA

your welcome and good luck....