1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need Rain

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Matt'slawncare, Aug 12, 2003.

1. Matt'slawncare

Matt'slawncare LawnSite Member

I live in southeastern minnesota and it hasn't rained on any of my jobs in three weeks. All of them are pretty much all brown besides the ones in low areas they are green but still arn't growing. I thought about using a contract this year so i would get paid if it didn't grow, but i still didn't use one. Next year i will use them forsure. Is anyone else out there having this problem.
  2. Earthscapes

Earthscapes LawnSite Member
    from WNY

Yes i have a problem it's called to MUCH rain. we have recieved almost 1-2" every 3-4 days for the last 3 weeks. The grass is growing at sicking heights for this time of yr. It don't matter what height we cut at they are 3 times as tall the next week.

If drought is a hassle in your area i would go with a seasonal contract....so you get paid no matter what.
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

it has been totally the opposite here. The summer so far has been the best on record for me. I have actually been rained out July and August a couple of days as well.

We only had a dry spell for about 1 1/2 weeks back in the end of June, other than that great. Sorry to hear that it's dry there.
  4. Matt'slawncare

Matt'slawncare LawnSite Member

I used to have your problem about 2 months ago i couldn't't even get in any yard around so i prayed for it to dry up and now its just way to dry i guess its always something. Normally a drought isn't a problem thats why i never used a contract but just needed to learn the hard way.
  5. maple city

maple city LawnSite Senior Member

I'm living in the no-rain belt also. We're losing a lot of $$$ here. Just no growth. In the spring, I was cutting some 2 times a week, so I guess it all comes out OK in the long run.
  6. jrc lawncare

jrc lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Been raining for 2+ wks here, no end in sight. Grass growing like mad.:help:
  7. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I'm home now because it's raining. Ugh. Who woulda thunk it, after last year??

8. Got Grass?

Got Grass? LawnSite Senior Member

Be careful what you wish for...
    Last year we were praying for rain....
    Well our prayers were answered in a BIG way....
    Unfortunatly a year later...

Don't worry tho if this rain keeps up it will start flowing over there...
    Hard to mow under 2ft of water in the front yards...
    At least with a drought you can still do installs...
  9. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

got 1" yesterday & 1/2" so far today
  10. Lake Turf

Lake Turf LawnSite Member

Hey Gang!!

I am in southern MO. We are having a drought this year.. Sucks everything is dried up and thinking I should use a contract next year. What do you guys do?? Is a contract good or should I just do what I have been doning? A couple of companies down here use them. Just not sure If it is the right thing to do..