Need Rennovation Advice

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Martin Lawn, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Martin Lawn

Martin Lawn LawnSite Member

Hi, got a client with approximately a 1000 sq ft of badly overgrown landscaping that got out of control by the previous owner. With the layout of the backyard the new owner wants the landscaping bushes, perennials completely removed and seeded. I've never done this before but I'm leaning towards cutting everything to 3-4 inches tall, hitting it with roundup waiting about a week then raking out the dead material, possibly spreading a little topsoil, then spreading seed and starter fertilizer. Am I on the right track here any tips would be appreciated...
  2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

The roots of the bushes need to be removed. Unless he has irrigation or some afternoon shade a permanent lawn is difficult at best. More weeds than grass.

You could put down annual rye for now as cover and seed in the fall.
  3. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

If you are going to try to kill anything with Roundup you need to treat before you remove most of the foliage. The remaining foliage won't be able to absorb enough chemical to kill the roots.
  4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Cut the bushes to about 12 inches. Put a chain around them and pull out. Wet the soil so they come out easy--and hopefully you will get most of the roots. Roto till and remove any major clumps. Lime if needed. Seed, starter fert and water. Don't add topsoil--it won't help much. Seed will not take well in heavy shade--of course. Be ready to apply weed control to clean up any weeds that come up with the grass. Do weed control about late Sept.