Need RESERVE TANK on my WALKBEHIND

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Quail Creek LC, May 11, 2003.

1. Quail Creek LC

Quail Creek LC LawnSite Member
    from IOWA

I'm sure this has happened to all of you. It seems to happen to me at least once a week. I'm out mowing and of course I'm as far away from the truck as possible and I run out of gas. Why dont they have reserve tanks on mowers like they do on motorcycles and atvs. All I need is encough fuel for 1 minute. Anyone else have this problem. Maybe we just need to suggest this to some of the manufactures out there. I'd pay a few extra bucks for it.

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Just fill up the tank at the start of every workday. It's faster and easier than taking a long walk. My Exmark has never run out and my Dixie only ran out once after I tried to see how far I could go after the gauges read empty.

3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Why don't you just look in the tank before you leave the shop and top it off??? :rolleyes: a 5 gallon tank on a walk behind lets it run all day, no reason to run out :rolleyes: But if you want, you could go to a Scag dealership and buy the gas cap gauge thing that they use on the STHM hydro outfront riders, that should fit about any 5 gallon walk behind tank, then you can just glance down as you're mowing :)

4. Quail Creek LC

from IOWA

I do start out with a full tank, and on long days I run out.

5. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

If I have been out on a long day I will usually look in the tank on every stop just to make sure. It is much easier to fill up or top off while sitting on the trailer than to walk to the truck, then to the mower, then back to the truck.

Just look after some time and this will stop.

6. Quail Creek LC

from IOWA

I do look most of the time, I just think it would be a great idea for manufactures to put a reserve tank on mowers. This way you dont have to keep checking every stop. Then when you run out, just flip the switch and your on your way back to the truck.

7. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I fill up each piece of equipment at night. I check the fuel level on everything at lunchtime to prevent the running out of fuel. There is nothing worse then being a great distance away from the truck and running out. I have had this happen once and as a result check everything more often then I need to.

Gravely_Man

8. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats why you look everytime, and or fill up/top off. Doing it this way you eliminate your quote above, which is wasting time.

Having to go back to the truck either to fill the main tank, or get the gas can gets handled if you look and fill when at the truck.

9. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Simple: Fill it up b4 each job.

I sometimes carry a 1 gal can strapped to the side

10. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I used to have this problem with my Grasshopper 725 G2. On the one side of the frame is the gas tank. On the other side is the carrier for a full sized battery. What I did was fabricate an auxiliary tank from a large tomato soup can. Soldered a neck/cap to the top and a pit-**** to the bottom. Strapped it to the side of the radiator support bracket and and routed it to a 2 way valve like on most ZTR's nowadays. You know, after I had the thing it seemed like I only ran out of gas ON THE TRAILER from then on. LOL