Need Right Away ! - - Honda ???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by O P M, Aug 7, 2003.

1. O P M

O P M LawnSite Member

Please advise ! I am looking at a SCAG. There are a lot of people that would say Kawasaki is the only one but I am VERY interested in the Honda 24hp.

I do not want to dispute Ford vs Chevy, but am looking for feedback from people with Honda engines.

This is happening ....... possibly today, please reply NOW !?!?!?!

Summary - HELP ?!

2. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

you cant go wrong with either of them.

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Oh yes you can go wrong. The larger honda motors suck. Had one, never again. I would strongly suggest the kawi or kohler.

Do a search, me and others have post problems here before.

4. saw man

from utah

i have never had problems with larger Honda engines, and I used to be a mechanic at a local shop. Most of the problems that occur are from owner neglect, and not the machines problem.
    Trust me, you cant go wrong with either.

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Trust me from an end user that makes a living with them, you can go wrong with the honda. Wasn't owner neglect either.

I'm a diehard honda supporter on small engines, just not the big ones. Anything 13hp and up.

To each his own I guess. I'm not attacking you sawman, hope you don't see it that way. :)

6. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with 65 HOSS, if you search you should be able to find 2 or 3 posts of mine giving my reasons.

7. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Hoss, I bought his mower that had the 13hp honda and the motor is the pits, getting parts takes forever and are more costly due to the name. carb issues with gas leaking out the float all the time, low power compaired to Kawi motors, very particular on how clean the fuel is.

to top this off this was on a HONDA 36" WB mower. the mower was very poorly designed.

As Hoss said do a search if you want more info from him or me on honda large motors.

Kohler and Kawi motors are more common this parts are easier to find and cheaper than Honda large motors. Honda has not been in the large motor market for WB/ZTR mowers long.

My .02 worth, get the Kawi motor. more torque than the kohler and i'll bet the Honda. you will not be sorry.

8. saw man

from utah

My search came up that only you 2 had complaints about their big engines. And from what it sounds like is that it is the same machine.

This will be just like the Ford vs Chevy debate, but i would check parts availability in your own area. Honda parts are more accessable than Kawi. in my area. And I have not found Honda parts expensive, that depends on the dealer you go to more often then not.

I have a 36" Honda w/the 13hp as well and have not had problems w/the machine or the engine. And i have torn this whole mower apart because of an accident that the Ins. Co. didnt want to buy a new unit. And i felt it was designed just fine, not hard to work on at all.

Like i said "Ford vs Chevy" debate

Check w/ your dealer and see which he get parts easier for.

9. O P M

O P M LawnSite Member

I want to thank all of you for the attention this got.

As it turns out, the dealer did some back peddling and withdrew the deal we were close to. I guess I will buy neither the Kaw or the Honda today.

10. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2 scags with kaws--love the motors

a 23hpkaw makes more torque than a 24honda:)